View Full Version : Mom Speaks Out About Cough Medicine Abuse

drdĒv€
08-27-2005, 02:24 PM
nbc4i.com
POSTED: 1:55 pm EDT August 24, 2005
UPDATED: 2:38 pm EDT August 24, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A local mother is making it her mission to keep children from getting too familiar with cough medicine.

Misty Fetko lost her 18-year-old son, Carl Hennon, two years ago. He overdosed on Dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in many cough and cold medicines.

The biggest problem is that cough syrup is readily available over the counter.

Another complication is that many adults don't know the medicine has grown popular among teens. That's why Fetko is talking about her loss.

Fetko is writing articles on DXM use for law enforcement magazines. She is talking to students and parents about the dangers and is also training health professionals on spotting abuse.

She plans to lobby Ohio lawmakers to regulate the sales of medicine that include DXM.

http://www.nbc4i.com/health/4891151/detail.html

n__u
08-27-2005, 03:42 PM
That was quite the vague article there. I really doubt he od'ed on just dxm, and even if he did, he probably had it coming because he was probably using powder without a scale.

Horribly written article. Whoever wrote this should back to high school immediately.

Suburban_Prince
08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
as long as she doesnt infiltrate michigan law i dont give a shit about how she uses her time lol

and this was a badly written article lol

$H@P3$HYFTR3
08-27-2005, 04:07 PM
hey dr mom: youre beat! hope you know this. im gonna laugh til i piss out my eyes if she thinx she can do this while assloads have been trying it for years to no avail. if your kid od's, fukkin teach em how to dose up right. thats the only real problem. or educate them of the dangers, if any, realistically and honestly about what they do. not tripping may be worse for him than if he does, as long as you do it correctly. ive found excessive insight on trips. think of why: consciousness is based on nothing but chemicals. when a new chemical shows up perceptions change and what you see expands. if you want him not to trip, even better luck cuz youll need it. people will do whatever their will dictates and there aint shit you can do to stop it. you try to limit his use and hell just get craftier with it and itll all be underground. carefree trippin to all. im just sayin dont bother to try to regulate what people put into their bodies, prohibition didnt work, the drug war didnt work, and certainly some lil piss poor domestic ops will never work. just respect your body. teach the kids not dont overdo it. when people eat drugs they take full responsibility for the results. this is why lil shitheads shouldnt do some shit. they have no idea of the reality of substance use. conversely for every lil teletubby loving, breastfeeding ass lil kid that tries drugs in retarded ways, there will be at least ten that do it right. you may not even think there is a right way to do drugs but hey, some will never be convinced of the nature of reality. but reality is there nonetheless. its too risky some say. it makes you stupid others say. well fuck you all cuz the beatles music only got better when they started trippin. same with the doors, but also notice that when morrison began drinking (shitty drugs) the music lost its complexity and everything sukt. the band disintegrated from there on. thats the importance of using only the RIGHT drugs. you gotta be in tune with your mind and also know how to navigate your perceptions or you are surely lost. youre just thinking the casualty cases which come from either use of lame gimpy drugs or irresponsible use of good trips. trips have been used safely for eternities by shamans and they even placed m e on a shamanic path and doing so saved my life, to make a long story short. the very same drugs you deny are in your cigs, your coffee, your booz and your allergy meds, your prescripts and even your own brain, like the natural psychedelic dmt. legality means nothng when some of the worst and most dangerous drugs are legal and the safest and psychecelically therepeutically effective are banned. think ibogaine: no chance for it to be used for fun and yet it has been proven to cure 39 year 45 thousand dollar a day heroin addicts first time use. and you know how? psychedelic teachings from the drug. and its illegal, yet people can drink all they want. did you know that alcohol has the highest risk factor for any drug? did you know that it has one of the highst incidences of suicide rates outthere? fuck it. lifes too short to fuck around. live.try it and find out. education is the way bitches.

hometoys
08-27-2005, 04:31 PM
consciousness is based on nothing but chemicals. when a new chemical shows up perceptions change and what you see expands

Love that quote.

zimzumtwiggy
08-27-2005, 06:35 PM
That bitch needs slapped.Ill be pissed if she does this.Ill be damned if she makes me not able to get robo max.Then ill have to result to getting powder.

Arm
08-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by atomic_revolution@Aug 27 2005, 02:07 PM
consciousness is based on nothing but chemicals. when a new chemical shows up perceptions change and what you see expands.
:) Thats a quote for the ages.

strange_r
08-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by atomic_revolution@Aug 27 2005, 04:07 PM
...but also notice that when morrison began drinking (shitty drugs) the music lost its complexity and everything sukt. the band disintegrated from there on... did you know that alcohol has the highest risk factor for any drug? did you know that it has one of the highst incidences of suicide rates outthere? fuck it. lifes too short to fuck around.
Alcohol is cheap, readily available, widely used (sometimes irresponsibly), socially acceptable, and often combined with other drugs. Those factors explain your statistics.

As for the Doors, their last album (L.A. Woman) kicked ass. Riders on the Storm is a beautiful track of great complexity.

Alcohol opens many doors of perception if you know how to use it. Like other drugs, using it is risky. So if you can't handle it, don't use it! But don't knock it just because it's a drug of choice for many ignorant people who don't approve of illegal substances.

n__u
08-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by butterfly_brain+Aug 27 2005, 06:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (butterfly_brain @ Aug 27 2005, 06:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--atomic_revolution@Aug 27 2005, 04:07 PM
...but also notice that when morrison began drinking (shitty drugs) the music lost its complexity and everything sukt. the band disintegrated from there on... did you know that alcohol has the highest risk factor for any drug? did you know that it has one of the highst incidences of suicide rates outthere? fuck it. lifes too short to fuck around.
Alcohol is cheap, readily available, widely used (sometimes irresponsibly), socially acceptable, and often combined with other drugs. Those factors explain your statistics.

As for the Doors, their last album (L.A. Woman) kicked ass. Riders on the Storm is a beautiful track of great complexity.

Alcohol opens many doors of perception if you know how to use it. Like other drugs, using it is risky. So if you can't handle it, don't use it! But don't knock it just because it's a drug of choice for many ignorant people who don't approve of illegal substances. [/b][/quote]
The only doors I've ever seen anyone open from using alcohol are stupidity, violence, and ignorance. No drug has ever made me feel as stupid as alcohol. I've never gained any insight from using it, and never felt anything but stupid from using it.

Shadow
08-27-2005, 11:51 PM
i dunno ive felt pretty fucked up on alcohol...

rfgdxm
08-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Aug 27 2005, 02:24 PM
nbc4i.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A local mother is making it her mission to keep children from getting too familiar with cough medicine.

Misty Fetko lost her 18-year-old son, Carl Hennon, two years ago. He overdosed on Dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in many cough and cold medicines.

Another complication is that many adults don't know the medicine has grown popular among teens. That's why Fetko is talking about her loss.

Fetko is writing articles on DXM use for law enforcement magazines. She is talking to students and parents about the dangers and is also training health professionals on spotting abuse.

She plans to lobby Ohio lawmakers to regulate the sales of medicine that include DXM.

I probably shouldn't post this, but don't believe everything you read. I have in my files the coroner's report of Carl Hennon. He did not die of a DXM OD. He did die of a drug OD, but the tox results showed only an amount of DXM consistent with taking as directed on the package. For that reason I didn't include his death on my website. I don't understand why Ms. Fetko is singling out DXM. If she is doing such visible lobbying, I'm afraid I may have to do my own news report setting the record straight. :( And this isn't just speculation on my part; it is based on a full autopsy report. I even called the coroner long distance and spoke direct with him to clarify exactly what was in the tox results to make sure I was reading them right.

strange_r
08-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by nu_@Aug 27 2005, 11:13 PM
The only doors I've ever seen anyone open from using alcohol are stupidity, violence, and ignorance. No drug has ever made me feel as stupid as alcohol. I've never gained any insight from using it, and never felt anything but stupid from using it.
I'll repeat; if you can't handle it, don't use it.

By the way, no drug has made me feel as stupid as marijuana.

Shadow
08-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm+Aug 27 2005, 09:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rfgdxm @ Aug 27 2005, 09:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdĒv€@Aug 27 2005, 02:24 PM
nbc4i.com

I probably shouldn't post this, but don't believe everything you read. I have in my files the coroner's report of Carl Hennon. He did not die of a DXM OD. He did die of a drug OD, but the tox results showed only an amount of DXM consistent with taking as directed on the package. For that reason I didn't include his death on my website. I don't understand why Ms. Fetko is singling out DXM. If she is doing such visible lobbying, I'm afraid I may have to do my own news report setting the record straight. :( And this isn't just speculation on my part; it is based on a full autopsy report. I even called the coroner long distance and spoke direct with him to clarify exactly what was in the tox results to make sure I was reading them right. [/b][/quote]
do it! do it! do it! put your ass into it!

Arm
08-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm@Aug 27 2005, 10:48 PM
I probably shouldn't post this, but don't believe everything you read. I have in my files the coroner's report of Carl Hennon. He did not die of a DXM OD. He did die of a drug OD, but the tox results showed only an amount of DXM consistent with taking as directed on the package. For that reason I didn't include his death on my website. I don't understand why Ms. Fetko is singling out DXM. If she is doing such visible lobbying, I'm afraid I may have to do my own news report setting the record straight. :( And this isn't just speculation on my part; it is based on a full autopsy report. I even called the coroner long distance and spoke direct with him to clarify exactly what was in the tox results to make sure I was reading them right.
Do it Bob. Call the papers and make yourself famous! :crazy: Then one day the mainstream will call you the Great DXM Guru. Or something like that. :thumbsup:

rfgdxm
08-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Arm@Aug 28 2005, 08:18 PM
Do it Bob. Call the papers and make yourself famous! :crazy: Then one day the mainstream will call you the Great DXM Guru. Or something like that. :thumbsup:
Best I just ignore this, and hope it goes away. I already dominate the Internet when it comes to DXM. It ain't like I need visibility.

n__u
08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by butterfly_brain+Aug 28 2005, 07:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (butterfly_brain @ Aug 28 2005, 07:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nu_@Aug 27 2005, 11:13 PM
I'll repeat; if you can't handle it, don't use it.

By the way, no drug has made me feel as stupid as marijuana. [/b][/quote]
Well, everyone reacts differently. Alcohol alone just sends me into a tired stupor in which I don't feel like doing anything that would actually require thinking. As for marijuana, well, I get very inspired and write a lot on it. Marijuana is a great tool for mind-expansion.

Everyone's different I guess.

strange_r
08-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by nu_@Aug 29 2005, 12:45 AM
Well, everyone reacts differently. Alcohol alone just sends me into a tired stupor in which I don't feel like doing anything that would actually require thinking. As for marijuana, well, I get very inspired and write a lot on it. Marijuana is a great tool for mind-expansion.

Everyone's different I guess.
Agreed.