View Full Version : Attempt to get high ends in man's death

BONERSTORM
08-21-2005, 04:59 PM
August 21, 2005

Attempt to get high ends in man's death
Teen combined cough syrup with caffeine pills; practice called common, risky.

By John Tuohy
[email protected]

An 18-year-old man died Saturday after he combined cough syrup and caffeine to get high, a practice medical experts warn is prevalent among young people.

Anthony Gray, a Far-Southside resident, and Ricky Harris, 18, Greenwood, had read on the Internet how to get high by combining Vicks Formula 44 and caffeine, according to a Marion County sheriff's report.

Gray and Harris consumed a bottle of Vicks and caffeine pills at 11 p.m. Friday, then smoked marijuana about six hours later.

At about 5:30 a.m. Saturday, Gray complained he was sick and went into the bathroom at his home in the 2100 block of Friendship Drive.

When Harris checked on him later, Gray was on the floor unconscious, police said.

He was taken to Community Hospital South, where he was pronounced dead.

Dr. James Mowry, director of the Indiana Poison Control Center, said young people seek out cough syrup for the dextromethorphan, or DXM, which can produce a euphoric high, and because it can be bought over the counter.

"Kids find that if you take large amounts of it you can get a high like PCP but without the violence," Mowry said.

DXM is contained in 125 nonprescription cough and cold medications, including brands of Robitussin and Coricidin.

The chemical can cause hallucinations, a feeling that you are removed from your body and paranoia, Mowry said.

He said overdoses from DXM are "something that is reported as being prevalent."

Marion County Coroner John Linehan said a person "could die pretty easily" by consuming a bottle of cough syrup.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration last month issued a warning about DXM abuse. The FDA said five teenagers recently have overdosed by taking a powdered form of DXM.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers' Toxic Exposure Surveillance System said the reports of DXM overdoses have doubled in the past five years.

The American Medical Association has recommended banning over-the-counter sales of cough and cold medicines to people under 18.

original http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...464/1006/NEWS01 (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050821/NEWS01/508210464/1006/NEWS01)

Suburban_Prince
08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
i swear to god, show me someone who died from dxm ONLY and then maybe ill take these dumbass news stories seriously. honestly people need to wake the fuck up and research b4 getting high, or mixing chemicals, or jumping to conclusions

rT::3000
08-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by rudine@Aug 21 2005, 03:59 PM
Marion County Coroner John Linehan said a person "could die pretty easily" by consuming a bottle of cough syrup.
well shit... someone should have told me that about 9 years and approximately 400 bottles ago.

rfgdxm
08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dxmisgood24@Aug 21 2005, 07:27 PM
i swear to god, show me someone who died from dxm ONLY and then maybe ill take these dumbass news stories seriously. honestly people need to wake the fuck up and research b4 getting high, or mixing chemicals, or jumping to conclusions
Dude, get a fucking clue.

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/

I've got autopsy reports in my files from people who died from taking DXM ONLY. Which part of taking lots of just DXM can kill you do you need me to explain to you?

Suburban_Prince
08-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm+Aug 21 2005, 07:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rfgdxm @ Aug 21 2005, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--dxmisgood24@Aug 21 2005, 07:27 PM
Dude, get a fucking clue.

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/

I've got autopsy reports in my files from people who died from taking DXM ONLY. Which part of taking lots of just DXM can kill you do you need me to explain to you? [/b][/quote]
yes i realize you can die from only dxm but its so rare and the media is blowing dxm dangers so out of proportion, sorry if i was unclear in my first post but fuck you for instantly flaming

rfgdxm
08-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up rudine. I'll try checking this out with the coroner later this week. Hopefully Indiana doesn't have stupid laws that make coroner's reports unavailable to reporters. I actually know about a DXM death in the Pacific Northwest I can't confirm because the laws of that state forbid reporters from accessing official records. This state actually covers up drug OD deaths so details aren't available. WHY hide the fact a drug can kill?

deadevilfrog
08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm@Aug 21 2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up rudine. I'll try checking this out with the coroner later this week. Hopefully Indiana doesn't have stupid laws that make coroner's reports unavailable to reporters. I actually know about a DXM death in the Pacific Northwest I can't confirm because the laws of that state forbid reporters from accessing official records. This state actually covers up drug OD deaths so details aren't available. WHY hide the fact a drug can kill?
I do hope you can get a copy of the coroner's report. I can think of many reasons why someone just keels over and dies. Since it was 6 hours after he dosed, one bottle of nasty vicks, (untold amount caffeine), it may not be even related. Or if it is could be he had a weakness in his body that the stress of his partying took advantage. Or maybe he grunted to hard and popped an anuresym (bad spelling).

The autopsy is the thing for clarifying this one methinks.

cakedrink
08-22-2005, 01:43 AM
"Kids find that if you take large amounts of it you can get a high like PCP but without the violence," Mowry said.

At least this one doesn't have violence accusations, B) , YAY!

BONERSTORM
08-22-2005, 02:31 AM
i wonder what website suggested overloading on both DXM and Caffeine. unsafe, so it makes me think Totse.

SkimmerX
08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
I would def like to see the details of this, vicks 44 isn't very strong. Perhaps they combined cough and cold formula with caffine and still I have trouble imagining someone just falling over dead at the age of 18.

Arm
08-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by rudine@Aug 22 2005, 12:31 AM
i wonder what website suggested overloading on both DXM and Caffeine. unsafe, so it makes me think Totse.
Unsafe and incredibly stupid.

rfgdxm
08-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by deadevilfrog@Aug 21 2005, 09:14 PM
I do hope you can get a copy of the coroner's report. I can think of many reasons why someone just keels over and dies. Since it was 6 hours after he dosed, one bottle of nasty vicks, (untold amount caffeine), it may not be even related. Or if it is could be he had a weakness in his body that the stress of his partying took advantage. Or maybe he grunted to hard and popped an anuresym (bad spelling).

If he had a stroke or such because of the drugs he took, it would still be an overdose death. What is surprising to me is that it is reported he consumed just one bottle of Vicks 44. It is very unlikely this small of an amount of DXM would kill any adult. I'm betting that either #1) He consumed truly huge amount of caffeine pills, AND/OR the amount of DXM he took is much more than one bottle.

Unnamed
08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm+Aug 22 2005, 03:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rfgdxm @ Aug 22 2005, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--deadevilfrog@Aug 21 2005, 09:14 PM

If he had a stroke or such because of the drugs he took, it would still be an overdose death. What is surprising to me is that it is reported he consumed just one bottle of Vicks 44. It is very unlikely this small of an amount of DXM would kill any adult. I'm betting that either #1) He consumed truly huge amount of caffeine pills, AND/OR the amount of DXM he took is much more than one bottle. [/b][/quote]
Thats probably why they hide it, not the fact that a drug can kill, but whatever dose did cause the death so that the reporters can oversensationalize it saying a bottle of vicks and a cup of coffee will kill you.

MSIndulge
08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I doubt he even actually read that the combo got you high. He probably just read about DXM and said hey let me combine some caffeine with it. What is the purpose?

Midknight
08-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Viks 44 has psuedo and dxm and ace...the ace wouldn't do much bp wise, but the caffeine, dxm and pseudo seems like a recipe for disaster, and your website is to much work to navigate.

make it better.

vapor
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
bleh, people dont know how to feel out situations anymore. they take everything they see on the internet as solid, undeniable info. death be to the poor souls that dont do their research when putting psychoactive biochemicals into their bodies...

Shadow
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
yes we need less sites like totse and more like dextroverse...... CAN I GET AN AMEN UP IN THE HOUSE!?

kilo
09-30-2005, 06:13 AM
when i OD, i'll make sure to OD on CCC so as not to ruin dxm's name. and to give CCC more of a bad rep too.