View Full Version : Stores adapting to new cold-medicine sales law

drdªv€
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Stores adapting to new cold-medicine sales law
Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Some local stores were several steps ahead of Indiana’s new cold-medicine law that took effect Friday, already limiting or even refusing to sell medications or supplements that could be used in the production of methamphetamine.

Numerous nonprescription medications are now regulated by state law. They include Sudafed, Nyquil, Robitussin, Alka-Seltzer Plus, Tylenol Allergy, and many other popular cold medicines and nasal decongestants containing pseudoephedrine or ephedrine.

Ken Dunbar of Perry & Dunbar Drug Store Inc. said that when he put medicines containing pseudoephedrine behind the counter last year, it cut down on theft.

“We have that kind of product back in the back where the customers actually have to ask for it,” he said before the law went to into effect.

Under the new law, customers must be at least 18, show valid identification and give the store their information before they can purchase products like Sudafed and other decongestants that could potentially be used to make meth.

When they do purchase the product, customers are limited to 3 grams, or about two boxes of 48 pills a week.

“That should be more than plenty for the average person,” Dunbar said.

Dunbar said he starts to get suspicious of a customer’s intentions after about two or three weeks of buying the maximum supply.

“They don’t get it after that,” he said.

Dunbar said this new policy will help limit Indiana’s meth problem, but it doesn’t do enough.

“They’re not going to have the availability,” Dunbar said. “It should actually have gone one step further. They should only be able to sell it at pharmacies.”

Dunbar said grocery stores and convenience stores, which also sell products containing ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, might not be as sensitive to the issue as pharmacies would be.

“It’s the practice of convenience stores to just kind of ring up sales,” Dunbar said. “It’s my job, controlling the health of the community. You go to a convenience store and the mind-set is not the same.”

Products that contain pseudoephedrine are currently not for sale at the Jay C Store.

“The company told us to pull them,” assistant manager Kathy McLaughlin said. “We keep them in boxes, locked up. Right now they’re not for sale”

McLaughlin said Jay C, a division of Kroger, had some problems with theft of the medications in the past.

“We’d find these empty boxes,” she said. “They would just take the pills out and leave the boxes. So we took Sudafed off the shelves sometime last year.”

McLaughlin said that although medications like Sudafed are not available at her store, they can be purchased at Jay C stores that have pharmacies.

Fast Max head cashier Melissa Jones said her store took ephedrine and pseudoephedrine products off the shelves Thursday.

“I’m glad we’re not carrying it anymore,” she said. “That meth is nasty, wicked stuff.”

Jones said that many energy supplements like Stacker 2 and 357 Magnum have removed ephedrine from their recipes, replacing it with caffeine or other herbal substitutes.

Small amounts of ephedrine-containing supplements, such as Ephedrine Plus and Double Ephedrine will be available at the store soon. The products will only come in four-packs and not in the bottles they were previously sold in.

At the Wal-Mart, associates were putting up signs in the slots where the cold medicines used to be, letting customers know they would have to show identification and sign the log before they could only buy two boxes of the products.

http://www.madisoncourier.com/main.asp?Sec...775&TM=54062.83 (http://www.madisoncourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=253&ArticleID=24775&TM=54062.83)

Arm
07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Under the new law, customers must be at least 18, show valid identification and give the store their information before they can purchase products like Sudafed and other decongestants that could potentially be used to make meth.
Exact same law Missouri has. I'm sure it makes little difference.

“I’m glad we’re not carrying it anymore,” she said. “That meth is nasty, wicked stuff.”
How the hell do you know lady? Ever try it?

Oh and theres another article about restricting pseudoephedrine with the great meth synthesis guru Uncle Fester:

http://www.unclefesterbooks.com/articles/o...49885.story.htm (http://www.unclefesterbooks.com/articles/orl-asecmeth10031005mar10,1,1449885.story.htm)
"It's hitting on the very small players at the expense of the major players," said Preisler, who writes under the pseudonym "Uncle Fester." "They're ignoring the heavyweights that are bringing the truckloads across the border."

Large labs found mainly in California and Mexico supply the majority of meth, also known as "speed" or "crank," and the law would have no effect on them, say opponents, including a group that represents pharmacists.

"Large labs getting pseudoephedrine in bulk from other sources, that's what you've got to fix," said Michael Jackson, executive vice president of the Florida Pharmacy Association.

Oops you self-righteous assholes, looks like your idea of wiping ephedrine off the face of the Earth is not working.

Midknight
07-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Once again, the number of meth users compared to meth death is a small ratio...Just like every other illicit drug...

PEOPLE WOULD NOT USE IT SO FREELY IF IT WAS THAT BAD FOR YOU...

But what ever...Smoke crack, roll blunts and stay away from beer... Go for the vodka...Motha meeya.

Dexerslab
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Midknight@Jul 7 2005, 06:41 AM
and stay away from beer
Surely you did not mean that!

Come on, beer is the shit!

:chug:

Monoliath
07-09-2005, 07:23 PM
"At the Wal-Mart, associates were putting up signs in the slots where the cold medicines used to be, letting customers know they would have to show identification and sign the log before they could only buy two boxes of the products."

Signing the 'log' is going to be the new trend for battling these kinds of things, before you know it, any and everything that can do anything wrong to anybody, you'll have to sign a 'log' and show id etc before you can buy it

Am I the only person who forsees a civil war of some kind in the next 2 to 5 year? Of course, not because of this particular situation, but the general attitude of our government and it's execution of policies? This bullshit is really just the tip of the huge iceberg that's about to sink our beloved american dream into the deep seas of communist slavery...

Shadow
07-09-2005, 10:38 PM
identification for plastic toys because u can burn them and huff the fumes to get high? i can see it.

nazrhyn
07-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Miss whatsherface most certainly needed to use the word "wicked" there. Well done.

levomethorphan
07-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Back in the 1970's, meth was made with P2P, which was a common industrial chemical back then. The DEA responded in 1981 by making P2P a Schedule II controlled substance. The meth makers responded by using ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which not only made more potent meth than the old method, it allowed average people to start their own labs with a small investment. It is the government that created the modern meth situation by trying to restrict access to key chemicals.

I wonder if all this regulation of pseudoephedrine will cause inventive chemists to come up with an even better, easier way to make meth with other common chemicals, just as the restriction of P2P spawned the modern pseudoephedrine methods.

Monoliath
07-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by levomethorphan@Jul 11 2005, 11:14 PM
Back in the 1970's, meth was made with P2P, which was a common industrial chemical back then. The DEA responded in 1981 by making P2P a Schedule II controlled substance. The meth makers responded by using ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which not only made more potent meth than the old method, it allowed average people to start their own labs with a small investment. It is the government that created the modern meth situation by trying to restrict access to key chemicals.

I wonder if all this regulation of pseudoephedrine will cause inventive chemists to come up with an even better, easier way to make meth with other common chemicals, just as the restriction of P2P spawned the modern pseudoephedrine methods.
I believe the systematic adaptation you're talking about, is what brought DXM to the forefront, to tell you the truth.

I use to live in a state (which shall not be named) that was pretty rural, laid back and quiet, it was a college town, but was still pretty quiet. The cops were hard, they didn't fuck around, I constantly heard about people getting busted for drugs etc, raids the whole nine yards, more than any other city I had ever lived in or heard about (with a college town perspective in mind)

Over the years I was there, I saw a huge switch in the recreational drug use, from illegal, hard to acquire substances, to legal prescription or experimental drugs, despite the various risks involved (as there is with any discovery of a new recreational substance). I myself partook in many of these, and was shocked to find out, how many of them actually expanded, distorted and 'silly-puttied' (temporarily) the mind, to the degree that they did. In many instances, better than the illegal stuff. With doctors so incredibly stupid, willing to give anyone who read the right script to them, a prescription to anything from adderal to xanax, why not? (again, please remember, this is all from the RESPONSIBLE RECREATIONAL DRUG USER perspective, if it really exists ;)

I call it new-millennium alchemy, it’s just a repeat of what happened in the 70’s, just on a different level, much more underground.

The pressure of going to jail, and having your life ruined (because of the criminal record it would produce...any drug charge makes it really hard to get a job) for eating some mushrooms, or smoking a joint, has pushed people to legal alternatives...why not beat them at their own game by using what they manufacture?

In the end, one could say that they're going to end up shooting themselves in the face, because so much legislation is going to be passed, that it will stifle and crush many industries who rely / use the products / substances being regulated, or maybe they'll simply find replacements and adapt themselves...who knows...but...

...trust me, money is the true god in this game, as far as government is concerned, not the well-being of the people, and if an industry, as powerful and profitable as the pharmaceutical industry is in line to be harmed, the legislation, simply will not stand. Mark my words.

This is the case with DXM, I believe, it's going to be a huge messy battle to seal this one up, and not fuck the big 'drug' industry players in the ass. I mean think about it, how much prettier could the picture be, here we have a substance that has been mass manufactured and effectively used by the population for decades, that provides the most intense hallucinatory, spiritually psychedelic trip I've ever experienced, and now the fat-cats on capital hill are freaking out on what to do...?

We’re living in a great time my friends…a great time where we can watch the hypocrisy of our politics kick its’ own ass, while we just sit back on the astral plane (or wherever you may be at the time) and laugh.

oh yeah...god bless america!

o0WhatThePhuck0o
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Ephedrine laws are not going to wipe meth off the face of the planet, manufactureres get their stuff in bulk...they don't go to the local store and buy hundreds of boxes of cold medicine. Meth doesn't come from kids who go to wally world and buy a couple boxes of cold medicine and cook it up dope in their basement.

Monoliath
07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I agree, these laws are feeble, and will always be, simply due to their inherent nature of operation...

vapor
07-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by levomethorphan@Jul 11 2005, 08:14 PM

Also smart cooks dont walk into their local drug store and buy 10 boxes of pseudo for the next batch. Most large scale meth production labs either buy pseudo online in mass quantities under another name and shipped to another house. 90mg psedo tabs (max OTC dose) are not that difficult to get in moderat quanitites EVEN if you dont have conections.

I think their cutting down on those scouring their town to find pseudo so they can make a quarter ounce of ice for themself, their friends, and a few customers.

I completely agree with you though levo, the DEA continues to ignore the fact that because of their rough and ineffective drug policy, those running the drug market in the united states have found better, cleaner (not always), and faster ways to make the chemicals they so depseratly try to oppress.

The way the DEA seems to deal with drugs in america is similar to the way one would repair a crack in a dam with a peice of fucking gum. It doesnt matter how much policy you throw out, they will always find ways to get round it. They have a bigger budget than the entire united states government put together. I think they know its a losing battle, but they'll keep fucking telling us that they've busted 2 major meth producers in southren california (another brutal victory in the war against drugs!); completely oblivious to the fact that the 10,000 others they havnt caught are a hell of a lot smarter than those they just caught.

(sarcasm is optional of course)

Shadow
07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
/me stops making the 9kilos of meth from the cough and cold pills

xeon
07-23-2005, 05:57 PM
they applied the same law here, in georgia. Too bad people will just go out of state to get it and/or get it online. Lets hope they dont do this with dxm. :shake:

n__u
07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by xeon@Jul 23 2005, 04:57 PM
they applied the same law here, in georgia. Too bad people will just go out of state to get it and/or get it online. Lets hope they dont do this with dxm. :shake:
I really doubt they would do this with DXM. That'd hurt them more than help them.

o0WhatThePhuck0o
07-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by nu_+Jul 24 2005, 02:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nu_ @ Jul 24 2005, 02:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--xeon@Jul 23 2005, 04:57 PM
I really doubt they would do this with DXM. That'd hurt them more than help them. [/b][/quote]
I don't think this person was saying they would make laws on DXM to prevent meth, rather making laws against DXM because its DXM...