View Full Version : 2 Bellingham Men Die From DXM

drdĒv€
06-25-2005, 06:39 AM
2 Bellingham Men Did Die From The Drug Dextromethorphan

June 24, 2005

By Leslie Knopp

BELLINGHAM - We now know Ryan Morgan and Cory Carlson of Bellingham are among five young men who died from the same drug they got online.

It was a pure, concentrated form of Dextromethorphan, also known as DEX or DXM.

Two other 19-year-olds died in Cape Coral, Florida -- 25 milligrams of the drug was sent to them in a zip lock bag.

Whatcom County Sheriff's Department confirms five teens in Washington, Florida, and Virginia have died from taking DXM they all bough from the same company, Chemical API.

KOMO 4 News has learned the feds have already raided the company, which was operated out of an Indianapolis apartment. They shut it down and sources confirm the United States Attorney's office is investigating.

"The idea that you can get the pure form of this, which can be dangerous, is concerning," said Caleb Banta-Green of the University of Washington Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute.

Banta-Green also says it's alarming teens are now getting it easily and cheaply, online. For decades, kids have gotten high on DXM by taking large amounts cough medicine. It gives them a high and hallucinations.

Chemical API's Web site is down, but we found the company's waiver form. It states the chemical should be used for research and is 'not for human consumption'.

"The vast majority of misuse of these substances is still the over the counter form," said Banta-Green.

But while it's scary kids get it online, they're still more likely to find DXM right in their medicine cabinet.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/37621.htm

Nocturne
06-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Wow, they died from 25 milligrams??

That's some damn enzyme deficiency, when even the prescribed dose kills ya.

The Love Whale
06-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too, I suppose it was really 25 grams.

Walkaway
06-25-2005, 12:34 PM
> five teens in Washington, Florida, and Virginia have died from taking
> DXM they all bought from the same company, Chemical API

Why the cluster of deaths surrounding the product of one company?

Was Chemical API the most popular supplier?

libel
06-25-2005, 12:53 PM
"The idea that you can get the pure form of this, which can be dangerous, is concerning," said Caleb Banta-Green of the University of Washington Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute.

Banta-Green also says it's alarming teens are now getting it easily and cheaply, online. For decades, kids have gotten high on DXM by taking large amounts cough medicine. It gives them a high and hallucinations.

powder is the safest form, with a scale. imo. its poor bioavailibility adds to this. unless they were mixing with diphenhydramine and alcohol, which i suspect its extremely hard to die on pure dxm.

n__u
06-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Sometimes I wonder if they make the typos on purpose to mislead people or if they're actually that stupid...

:magnus_grey:

rfgdxm
06-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Walkaway@Jun 25 2005, 12:34 PM

They certainly seemed to me the most visible. I recall that they were actually advertising via Google Adwords.

rT::3000
06-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm+Jun 25 2005, 03:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rfgdxm @ Jun 25 2005, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Walkaway@Jun 25 2005, 12:34 PM

They certainly seemed to me the most visible. I recall that they were actually advertising via Google Adwords. [/b][/quote]
i hate to say this, but until DXM is specifically scheduled by the DEA, bulk suppliers who cater to the 18-year-old "researcher" will just move overseas where there is less oversight.

what bothers me about this is that the purity and quality of available product could be questionable. because of this, i actually see more deaths happening because future product could potentially be less than pure when shipped here. and yes, there are plenty of companies overseas already shipping to the states. caveat emptor amigos.

in america, if you sell a product that conforms to USP specs, then it better damn well conform or you will get in trouble. and as a "researcher" looking for said product, you should always get some kind of statement from your supplier that it conforms to USP.

Shadow
06-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Nocturne@Jun 25 2005, 05:25 AM
Wow, they died from 25 milligrams??

That's some damn enzyme deficiency, when even the prescribed dose kills ya.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

levomethorphan
07-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by locolotophagi@Jun 25 2005, 12:53 PM

powder is the safest form, with a scale. imo. its poor bioavailibility adds to this. unless they were mixing with diphenhydramine and alcohol, which i suspect its extremely hard to die on pure dxm.
You're assuming that these people use logic when coming to their conclusions.

This is sensationalism, aka "yellow journalism". Truth is immaterial.