View Full Version : DXM News: "Police confirm teens died from DXM..."

rfgdxm
06-22-2005, 11:36 AM
This case was reported at the DV earlier, but without confirmation of what they ODed on. Note this later report ALSO mentions they were abusing diphenhydramine. (Only DXM was mentioned in the first news report.) So basically, even though they had pure DXM powder, they essentially reinvented Coricidin. And ended up dead from abusing DXM + anticholinergics. :(

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle....eid=3667&z=3&p= (http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=3667&z=3&p=)

Police confirm teens died from DXM overdose
Jorma Duran
Posted on: Tuesday, June 21, 2005

CAPE CORAL Cape Coral police say two nineteen year olds who died in
February died from an overdose of dextromethorphan (DXM), a
synthetically produced ingredient found in many over-the-counter cough
and cold remedies. The website where they purchased the drug has been
shut down and is under investigation by the FDA.

The website for the company Chemical API, where Steve Wambolt and
Chris Hundley purchased the powdered form of DXM, has been shut down
and the company is under investigation by federal, state and local
authorities for selling DXM.

"The autopsy report showed the boys died from ingestion of
dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine, an overdose of the drugs," said
Detective Bennett Walker of the Cape Coral Police Department.

Walker says the teenagers bought the pure powder form of DXM from the
Chemical-API website.

According to the Cape Coral Police Department says the company was
selling the drug without a license.

"They were targeting individual users and people who abuse the drug
and that's why we're investigating this company, and that's still the
evidence we're trying to gain to bring criminal prosecution against
them," said Walker.

US Senator Bill Nelson says he wants the FDA to regulate websites that
sell drugs online.

"By saying you have to use a tax ID number or some kind of password in
order to prevent the kind of situation that happened in SWFL, where
kids go on a website and started ordering drugs," said Nelson.

Steve Wambolt's father says he supports an investigation into the
company that sold his sons the drugs and believes there should be
strict guidelines for any company selling drugs over the internet.

He says parents and kids need to realize how dangerous
over-the-counter medicine can be and his son's death is perfect
example.

Detective Walker says they need to prove intent from the company,
meaning those behind Chemical API knew they were selling DXM to people
wanting to use the drug to get high.

Walker hopes to bring criminal charges against the company by the end
of the year.

DXM is found in more than 120 prescription cough and cold medicines.
The government classifies DXM as a "drug of concern" because of its
potential for misuse.

NeoandGeo
06-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Yet the majority of people will blame only DXM for the death. :shake:

rfgdxm
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by NeoandGeo@Jun 22 2005, 11:46 AM
I'm editing my website as I post this to mention anticholinergic abuse was also involved.

ROBO-t
06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I know it is bad to judge people, but this guy seems like he really wasn't a very intelligent person. From my experiences with DXM over the past six years of daily use, I would come to the conclusion that DXM is more or less harmless. Of course, that statement is quite false for many reasons. Dextromethorphan, like any substance, has the potential to end human life if ingested in the right amounts or mixed with the right accompaniment substance. But should we really put the blame on the substance, or is it the user that we should perhaps be focusing on more. People make poor life choices all the time, doing heroin, shooting other people, beating their wife, drinking until retardation becomes inevitable, etc. But at what point do we involve the responsibility of the person making these choices?
Now death is a touchy subject. I feel bad that this person had to die. But I reject the mentality that some people take on that if he died from it, it must me bad. Well, people have died from car crashes, so cars must be bad too. Let's stop using cars because we can get wherever we want in a much safer way, such as bicycling, walking, riding a fucking horse, etc. My point is that one individual’s misunderstandings do not properly speak for the whole.

n__u
06-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm@Jun 22 2005, 10:36 AM
Police confirm teens died from DXM overdose
Jorma Duran
Posted on: Tuesday, June 21, 2005

"The autopsy report showed the boys died from ingestion of
dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine, an overdose of the drugs," said
Detective Bennett Walker of the Cape Coral Police Department.
What in the bloody hell is this? Why doesn't it state in the headline "Police confirm teens died from dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine overdose"?

:shake: Fuck the media.

brandon10341
06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Thats sad but all of us have to learn from this tragedy.Do not mix Dxm and Dramamine or it becomes as dangerous as Coricidin!

n__u
06-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by brandon10341@Jun 22 2005, 10:29 PM
Thats sad but all of us have to learn from this tragedy.Do not mix Dxm and Dramamine or it becomes as dangerous as Coricidin!
Yeah, but we already knew that.

brandon10341
06-23-2005, 04:23 AM
I'm saying people should investigate about drugs they're taking before they take them. This is a example of someone who did not investigate the drug they were taking. If people would investigate nobody would be on crack or heroin and use the proper amount of a drug and nobody would die!

n__u
06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by brandon10341@Jun 23 2005, 03:23 AM
I'm saying people should investigate about drugs they're taking before they take them. This is a example of someone who did not investigate the drug they were taking. If people would investigate nobody would be on crack or heroin and use the proper amount of a drug and nobody would die!
Well of course. You've hit the nail upon the head, except you must realize that there will always be someone who makes a mistake. You can't expect all people to be careful with their drugs, because many are just plain irresponsible. Though we'd like all people to be responsible, the harsh reality is some are just not.

Unnamed
06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by brandon10341@Jun 23 2005, 03:23 AM
Im confused as to why noone would be on crack or heroin? I've researched heroin extensivly and would try it if the opportunity arose. If you don't count the addiction(and the circumstances brought on by its illigality, ie unknown purity/dosage ect) heroin is actually a pretty begnign drug. Crack on the other hand(and any form of cocain, methamphetmine and most stimulants) i wouldn't try, but thats my preferance.

And i totally agree with robo, people die from AIDs from sex, maybe we should outlaw that too! People are stupid, not the substances they choose to (ab)use.

Midknight
06-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by UnnamedGuy+Jun 23 2005, 03:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UnnamedGuy @ Jun 23 2005, 03:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--brandon10341@Jun 23 2005, 03:23 AM
Im confused as to why noone would be on crack or heroin? I've researched heroin extensivly and would try it if the opportunity arose. If you don't count the addiction(and the circumstances brought on by its illigality, ie unknown purity/dosage ect) heroin is actually a pretty begnign drug. Crack on the other hand(and any form of cocain, methamphetmine and most stimulants) i wouldn't try, but thats my preferance.

And i totally agree with robo, people die from AIDs from sex, maybe we should outlaw that too! People are stupid, not the substances they choose to (ab)use. [/b][/quote]
I wouldn't put it past bush to do just that.

levomethorphan
07-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by NeoandGeo@Jun 22 2005, 11:46 AM
If the article blamed the antihistamine, the anti-DXM campaign would lose its sensationalist, fear-mongering properties.

The target audience doesn't want to hear mumbo-jumbo about synergistic effects or how different classes of drugs have different effects. To them, DXM is some kind of stupefying narcotic, only its more addictive and more likely to lure innocent teenage girls into certain destruction.

CRIMSONGHOST
07-05-2005, 03:04 PM
ID try heroin and i wouldnt try crack though but amps and coke ive done

SkimmerX
03-14-2006, 05:22 AM
I didn't know police officers were qualified to make such confirmations.

trixieann
03-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Reading this thread again after such a long time makes me wonder even more where rfg is....

~trixieann~