View Full Version : Cough drug containing DXM safe

drdĒv€
06-16-2005, 06:50 AM
BEIJING, June 15 (Xinhuanet) -- Cough reliever dextromethorphan (DXM) is safe if taken by the prescribed dosage, said an official with the State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA) Tuesday.

The United States Food and Drug Administration said that the recent deaths of five teenagers "may be associated with the consumption of powdered DXM sold in capsules." DXM is a synthetically produced ingredient found in many over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold remedies.

The official said that DXM abuse can cause death as well as brain damage, loss of consciousness and irregular heart beat.

Wang Gongli, a medicine expert with SFDA's medicine evaluation center, said the five teenagers died because they took large doses of DXM in capsules.

"Cold and cough suppressant medicines containing DM, when formulated properly and used in small amounts, pose no harm to the human body," said Wang.

According to Chinese official standards, an adult can take 15 to 30 mg DXM at a time, three to four times a day.

So far, SFDA has not received any reports about serious cases caused by DXM abuse.

Despite the official stance that the drug is safe when ingested at the recommended dosage, reports about DM's possible harmful effects, however, have already caused trouble for many Chinese cold and cough relief drug producers.

Topsun, which produces one of China's best known cold relief drug brand White & Black, issued a statement Tuesday saying their drug contains 15 mg DXM in one capsule and the clinical tests show the drug has no harmful effects. Nevertheless, company executives feared that the reports will affect their business and said they will take measures to correct the situation.

The SFDA called on the public to read the medical guidebook carefully and strictly follow the recommended dosage.

"Any medicine is potentially harmful if taken improperly for a long time and in large doses," a SFDA official said.

The official said that people should stop taking DXM cough suppressant medicines and report to local FDAs if adverse effects arise when taking by right dosage.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-06/...ent_3089495.htm (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-06/15/content_3089495.htm)

libel
06-16-2005, 07:30 AM
most common sense filled article ive seen in a while.

NeoandGeo
06-16-2005, 10:49 AM
They are getting closer to admitting that even a recreational dose (100mg-400mg) is relatively safe for most people. But they would never officially say that as that would be a bad idea for them as a business.

But this article is very well written.

ranticalion
06-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah too bad it's from CHINA and we're probably the only people outside of China that will ever read it.

timothy
06-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Maybe the relaying of stories like that are pushed by the drug companies :) They have been getting some very bad publicity lately. Now they just need to be sure they can keep it on shelves and things like this will probably help.

Arm
06-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jun 16 2005, 04:50 AM
The official said that DXM abuse can cause death as well as brain damage, loss of consciousness and irregular heart beat.
Brain damage and irregular heart beat? Cliff Anderson and William White have already said theres no conclusive evidence recreational doses of DXM can. :magnus_grey: And I'm sure their research was alot more exhausting then some unnamed "official." :shake:

Irregular hear beat? Isnt that an anticholinergic side-effect? Like, I dont know, large doses of CPM or diph.

the ashtar
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Arm@Jun 19 2005, 03:22 PM

Irregular hear beat? Isnt that an anticholinergic side-effect? Like, I dont know, large doses of CPM or diph.
Not at all, high doses of DXM definetly cause an irregular heartbeat. I sure as hell know for a fact mine goes way above normal on dosages above 1.3ish grams and have many friends corresponding stories about this as well.

Arm
06-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by the ashtar+Jun 25 2005, 05:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the ashtar @ Jun 25 2005, 05:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Arm@Jun 19 2005, 03:22 PM

Not at all, high doses of DXM definetly cause an irregular heartbeat. I sure as hell know for a fact mine goes way above normal on dosages above 1.3ish grams and have many friends corresponding stories about this as well. [/b][/quote]
I didnt say tachycardia, which is fast heart beat, I said irregular heart beat. Where the heart beats are inconsistent. Theres a difference between the heart beating fast and beating fast but inconsistently. I have never noticed an irregular heart beat on DXM.

i dex alone
06-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I am aware of heart palpitations in my body on low to moderate doses. It is certainly triggered by the DXM. However, heart palpitations can be triggered by a number of other things, such as exercise or caffeine. While generally not considered life-threatening, palpitations are still a concern.

ranticalion
06-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Arm@Jun 25 2005, 09:43 PM
I didnt say tachycardia
Neither did the ashtar.

Midknight
06-26-2005, 07:07 AM
incase you didn't know, tach is technically a type of irregular heart beat.

And yes, My heart is always beating irregularly...Though it seems more stable on dxm...weird.

could just be im more in tune with my inner body on dxm though.

dawhiterabbit
06-27-2005, 05:07 AM
NeoandGeo Posted on Jun 16 2005, 09:49 AM They are getting closer to admitting that even a recreational dose (100mg-400mg) is relatively safe for most people. But they would never officially say that as that would be a bad idea for them as a business.

ranticalion Posted on Jun 16 2005, 06:45 PM Yeah too bad it's from CHINA and we're probably the only people outside of China that will ever read it.

funny we should forward this article to the FDA :P

Arm
06-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ranticalion+Jun 25 2005, 09:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ranticalion @ Jun 25 2005, 09:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Neither did the ashtar.[/b]
Yeah he did. Or he implied it anyway.

<!--QuoteBegin--the ashtar@Jun 25 2005, 05:47 PM

I sure as hell know for a fact mine goes way above normal on dosages above 1.3ish grams and have many friends corresponding stories about this as well. [/quote]

Now my brain seems to translate this into my heart beat goes way above normal. And since tachycardia = fast heart beat, well there ya go. I dont think of tachycardia as irregular heartbeat.

But these scaremongers saying DXM causes irregular heart beat makes it sound alot more scary than saying it raises your heart rate doesnt it? Well shit running and drinking too much coffee causes irregular heart beat too. :magnus_grey: