View Full Version : A Closer Look at Ecstasy

drdĒv€
06-15-2005, 07:15 PM
A Closer Look at Ecstasy

WHAT IS ECSTASY?

* Ecstasy is MDMA, or 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine. It belongs to a family of drugs called "entactogens," which literally means "touching within." Other drugs in this category include MDA, MDE and MBDB.
* Before it was made illegal in 1985, MDMA was used by psychiatrists as a therapeutic tool. Studies are currently underway in Spain and Israel assessing MDMA's effectiveness in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS?

* MDMA is a "mood elevator" that produces a relaxed, euphoric state. It does not produce hallucinations.
* MDMA takes effect 20 to 40 minutes after taking a tablet, with little rushes of exhilaration which can be accompanied by nausea. 60 to 90 minutes after taking the drug, the user feels the peak effects.
* Sensations are enhanced and the user experiences hightened feelings of empathy, emotional warmth, and self-acceptance.
* The effects of 'real' ecstasy subside after about 3-5 hours.
* Users report that the experience is very pleasant and highly controllable. Even at the peak of the effect, people can usually deal with important matters.
* The effect that makes MDMA different from other drugs is empathy, the sensation of understanding and accepting others.

WHAT IS THE DOSAGE?

* E is almost always swallowed as a tablet or capsule. A normal dose is around 100-125 mg.
* Black market "ecstasy" tablets vary widely in strength, and often contain other drugs.

IS ECSTASY ADDICTIVE?

* Ecstasy is not physically addictive. However, the drug can often take on great importance in people's lives, and some people become rather compulsive in their use. Taken too frequently, however, MDMA loses its special effect.
* MDMA releases the brain chemical serotonin, elevating mood and acting as a short-term antidepressant. Compulsive users may be unconsciously trying to self-medicate for depression. Effective treatments for depression are available with the proper diagnosis by a qualified physician.

BE CAREFUL

* Ecstasy is illegal and a conviction for possession can carry long prison sentences.
* Frequent or high doses have been linked to neurotoxic damage in laboratory animals. It is still unknown whether such damage occurs in humans or, if it does, whether this has any long-term, negative consequences.
* Some people experience depression after taking MDMA. This is caused by MDMA's action on certain brain chemicals.
* There have been some deaths associated with MDMA. Usually these have been a result of heatstroke from dancing for long periods of time in hot clubs without replenishing lost body fluids.
* Much of what is sold as "ecstasy" on the black market actually contains other drugs, some of which can be more dangerous than MDMA, like PMA, speed, DXM and PCP.
* Mixing ecstasy with alcohol or other drugs increases the risk of adverse reactions.

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=3474538

Shadow
06-15-2005, 07:21 PM
well written for once i think, but since when is DXM dangerous? its one of the safest highs i know.

Midknight
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I'd personally say mdma is more dangerous than dxm, only because it has a more serious effect on the cardivascular system, since it an amphetamine.

Shadow
06-15-2005, 07:37 PM
exACTLY.

brollie
06-15-2005, 09:55 PM
but since when is DXM dangerous?

If you think DXM isn't very dangerous then you should agree that many other ecstasy substitute drugs are more dangerous than it :)

Shadow
06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
i do.

KeithParadigm
06-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Interesting.

Although I would disagree with the part about hallucinations -- I think that MDMA is, if mild, a quasi-hallucinogenic drug.

In my opinion, the increase in serotonin levels within your brain equivocates to making you have a more feminine touch, per say...which accounts for the feelings of empathy.

Tyutchev
06-16-2005, 01:41 AM
DXM is dangerous when you take it expecting MDMA and start dancing around. Then on the come-up you start feeling nauseous, dissociated, and a rapid heart beat.. not what you expected, so you freak out.

That article was actually one of the better ones. Fairly accurate and without too much bias. Although I'm not sure about MDMA causing hallucinations.. then again my pills were probably dodgy (plus I had copious bongs the one time I took X).

rT::3000
06-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Wicked@Jun 15 2005, 06:21 PM
well written for once i think, but since when is DXM dangerous? its one of the safest highs i know.
well, if some idiot pill presser combines dxm with mdma, the resulting effects can be somewhat less than pleasant and can take its toll on the cardiovascular and pulmonary systems.

one of the best ways to find out though what could potentially be in your pill besides mdma is to use a test kit. not only will you have an idea of what you might be taking, you'll also be lowering your risk. of course though, the only true way to know exactly what is in each pill and quantities is by a CG/MS test like the ones that ecstacydata and bluelight do. however, ecstacydata does not release quantity data, only ratios of chemicals to other chemicals.

taking ecstacy, when in good health and with a known quantity is not too bad, especially if you can rehydrate yourself when necessary and not be in a super-hot room (like some parties have). taking a pill without testing it, or having it test positive for drugs other than mdma is just simply rolling the dice with your health. there are certainly some benefits that can be had from mdma when used in moderation. so just try to be smart about what you are putting in your body.

PerfectCell
06-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by KeithParadigm@Jun 15 2005, 09:39 PM
Interesting.

Although I would disagree with the part about hallucinations -- I think that MDMA is, if mild, a quasi-hallucinogenic drug.

In my opinion, the increase in serotonin levels within your brain equivocates to making you have a more feminine touch, per say...which accounts for the feelings of empathy.
You probably had MDA.... I noticed some light hallucinations when I took MDA.

iconoclast
06-17-2005, 05:15 AM
mdma just opens your heart chakra

Arm
06-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jun 15 2005, 05:15 PM
Much of what is sold as "ecstasy" on the black market actually contains other drugs, some of which can be more dangerous than MDMA, like DXM
DXMs less toxic then MDMA........ B)

Have you ever taken a Ecstasy pill that actually contained MDMA and DXM before? I would think Dex would be limited to only fake pills. :magnus_grey: