View Full Version : Drug Companies Try to Keep DMX on Shelves

drdĒv€
06-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Drug Companies Try to Keep DMX on Shelves
6/13/2005

Pharmaceutical firms have given in to public and government pressure and endorsed putting drugs containing pseudoephedrine (PSE) behind pharmacy counters to prevent their diversion to methamphetamine production. But the industry is fighting proposals to put similar restrictions on medications containing dextromethorphan (DXM), a cough medicine frequently abused by teens.

The Wall Street Journal reported June 10 that drug companies are working with states to limit youth access to drugs like Wyeth's Robitussin, Johnson & Johnson's Tylenol Cold & Flu and Schering-Plough Corp.'s Coricidin HBP, but want to see the drugs remain on store shelves. Mary Ann Wagner, vice president of pharmacy regulatory affairs for the National Association of Chain Drug Stores, said the drug industry "suffered through these PSE issues for so many years ... When they saw DXM, they said, 'Never again' and are trying to get in front of it."

The industry makes about $858 million annually from sales of products containing DXM. The Consumer Healthcare Products Association is trying to protect the market segment by supporting bills in six states (California, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island) that would prohibit sales of DXM drugs to minors but still allow them to be sold to adults without the involvement of a pharmacist. The group also is working with Congressional lawmakers to sponsor a federal bill to outlaw bulk sales of DXM to the public, and is funding a Partnership for a Drug-Free America public-education campaign.

The Partnership estimates that 9 percent of teens have abused cough medicines.

CVS already bans sales of DXM drugs to minors, while Walgreens bars purchases of more than three packages of Coricidin HBP, which contains high levels of DXM.

This article is online at http://www.jointogether.org/y/0,2521,577373,00.html

Visit www.jointogether.org for complete news and funding coverage, resources and advocacy tools to advance effective drug and alcohol policy, prevention and treatment.

Receive free news and funding headlines by email! Sign up at www.jointogether.org/jtodirect

This information may be freely reproduced and distributed, provided that attribution is made to "Join Together Online (www.jointogether.org)."
Join Together is a project of the Boston University School of Public Health.

http://www.jointogether.org/sa/news/summar...77373%2C00.html (http://www.jointogether.org/sa/news/summaries/reader/0%2C1854%2C577373%2C00.html)
/me silently snickers @ the title B)

brandon10341
06-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I didn't know CVS banned DXM to minors I brought DXM their multiple times when I was only 15. Now I'm 16 one year closer to 18 B)

levomethorphan
06-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by brandon10341@Jun 14 2005, 09:06 PM
I didn't know CVS banned DXM to minors I brought DXM their multiple times when I was only 15. Now I'm 16 one year closer to 18 B)
As far as I know, CVS only prohibits sale of Coricidin to minors. Other forms of DXM are freely sold.

Kalu
06-14-2005, 10:49 PM
In Australia they already have all the cough medicine behind the counter and there is a law here that if the chemist sells it to you knowing you will abuse it then it is illegal for them to sell it to you. But not illegal to abuse it or purchase it for abuse.

brollie
06-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Drug Companies Try to Keep DMX on Shelves

I didn't know he was on the shelf in the first place.
Maybe I go to the wrong pharmacies

Shadow
06-15-2005, 02:04 AM
...hey great idea guys. take away one of the safest drugs there is for kids!

im going to be ridiculed here, but who has ever died from drinking too much robodm? i think youd hurl before you got too much. and this question doesnt apply to enzyme deficiant folks.

dxm is a reasonably safe high when used correctly... so wtf. whats next? whipcream? ohn0ez n2o!

HeadOnAStick
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Wicked@Jun 15 2005, 01:04 AM
dxm is a reasonably safe high when used correctly... so wtf. whats next? whipcream? ohn0ez n2o!
heh, not a bad idea. Just watch, a few months from now there'll be an article stating "Whippet sales skyrocket after robotussin is put behind the counter!"

Whatever though, Canada isn't so tight-assed about cough medicine or any drugs, really, so I'm safe. I was saying to Danny earlier that once Bush scams the next election, there will be a mass migration to canada spurred by all the drug users and peace keepers.

Shadow
06-15-2005, 05:55 PM
bush cant scam the next election. hes in his second term.

Midknight
06-15-2005, 06:11 PM
nah, he'll just amend the constitution with a new article in the patriot act saying.

In the event of a terrorist war, the president's stay in office will not expire until said terrorist activity is considered safe by congress.

Shadow
06-15-2005, 06:32 PM
hmm, although that seems like something hed do, he would be indirectly ammending the constitution(because the constitution says you can only serve two terms.), however again, this isnt like it would be the FIRST thing that breaks the constitional barrier that has defined america, and led to the french revolution and whatnot. i mean, who wants due proccess anyways? or the right to an attorney. OH, and i know noone wants Justifiable cause's for searchwarents(or search warents at all!), they just get in the way, right? :nitin:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/Kingbeating.jpg
edit: thats rodney king and in my opinion/preminition, the future of every american who speaks out.