View Full Version : Abuse warning issued on cold drug DXM

drdĒv€
06-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Abuse warning issued on cold drug DXM

By Darla Carter
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

Q: I've heard that some kids are using cold medicine to get high. Is this true and are there any signs parents should be looking for?

A: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning May 20 about abuse of dextromethorphan, a common cough-and-cold ingredient that's suspected in the recent deaths of five teenagers.

The ingredient, also known as DXM, is available over the counter in various forms, including capsules, liquid and lozenges, but it also is being sold on the street in a pure powdered form, according to the FDA.

Abuse can lead to serious problems, such as brain damage, seizures, irregular heartbeat and loss of consciousness.

"A Family Guide to Keeping Youth Mentally Healthy & Drug Free" advises parents to look for these signs that a child is abusing DXM or other drugstore remedies:

# The child uses large amounts of cold or cough medicine.

# The child uses medicine when not ill.

# There are drugs missing from the medicine cabinet.

# You find medicine stashed in the child's room or backpack.

# The child's grades are poor.

# There's a change in the child's normal habits or appearance.

# The child has mood swings.

To read the guide, go to www.family.samhsa.gov.

For more information about DXM:

# www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs11/11563/11563p.pdf

# www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2005/ANS01360.html

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...3/1010/FEATURES (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050602/FEATURES03/506020313/1010/FEATURES)

Awakened
06-04-2005, 02:39 PM
That usdoj link has some funny stuff "Most DXM abusers ingest the drug orally, although some snort the pure powder of the drug."

yeah whatever :eh:

Shadow
06-04-2005, 03:32 PM
oh yeah. lets all snort poorly water soluable(1.5% for DXM) drugs and burn our fucking noses off and not get anything out of it! that sounds like FUCKIN FUN!

Midknight
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM

# There's a change in the child's normal habits or appearance.

# The child has mood swings.

Aren't these normal things during puberty?

I mean not everyone gets poor grades but I know that very few people have st8 a's.

Shadow
06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
i saw "abuse warning issued on col", and for some reason my mind thought it was going to be "abuse warning issued on colonelcorn"

levomethorphan
06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Ironically, during my period of heaviest DXM use, I got the highest grades I have ever gotten in my secondary school career. It was only when I wasn't using DXM that my grades dropped.