View Full Version : Abuse of OTC Meds the Cause of Teenage Deaths

drdĒv€
05-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Reported May 31, 2005
Abuse of OTC Meds may be the Cause of Teenage Deaths

(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Parents will now have to keep a close eye on their children. The Food and Drug Administration has reported that the deaths of five teenagers was linked to the abuse of dextromethorphan.

Dextromethorphan, also known as DXM, can be found as a synthetically produced ingredient in most over-the-counter drugs that aid in cough and cold. These OTC drugs come in capsule, liquid, lozenge and tablet forms. In small amounts, dextromethorphan is considered harmless as it acts as a cough suppressant. However, abuse of the medications that contain this ingredient can lead to many side effects, including brain damage, seizure, loss of consciousness, irregular heart beat, and even death.

Taken in these high doses, dextromethorphan provides the user with a temporary "high." According to the FDA, this phenomenon is not new, but it has sparked the sales of dextromethorphan in pure, powdered form on the streets. Dextromethorphan in pure form is derived from the encapsulation by the seller.

It is recommended that any consumers using this product be aware that the small doses of dextromethorphan in their OTC product will continue to be safe and effective methods for cough suppressants. The abuse of DXM in OTC products can lead to potential serious health risks.

The FDA emphasizes that parents keep a close eye on their children's safety. Medications should be stored where parents can easily monitor them.

Currently, the FDA is working on a joint effort with health and law enforcement authorities to address this issue to the public.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channels...m?storyid=11377 (http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=11377)

Shadow
05-31-2005, 02:58 PM
we're fucked. i bet this is going to be a crackdown man, all the FDA/DEA needed was ammo and they got it from the incidents a few days ago

BONERSTORM
05-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Wicked@May 31 2005, 01:58 PM
we're fucked. i bet this is going to be a crackdown man, all the FDA/DEA needed was ammo and they got it from the incidents a few days ago
those deaths in florida happened in february

sherpa101
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by rudine+May 31 2005, 02:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rudine @ May 31 2005, 02:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Wicked@May 31 2005, 01:58 PM
those deaths in florida happened in february [/b][/quote]
it doesnt really matter when they happened, what matters is when the media notices

Shadow
06-01-2005, 12:49 AM
fine. the deaths in february. we are still fucked.

dooftard
06-01-2005, 12:54 AM
yeah the whole dxm community is going down the shitter real fast. Been nice knowing you guys.

Shadow
06-01-2005, 12:57 AM
you too doof :(

c0smoline
06-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by dooftard@May 31 2005, 11:54 PM
yeah the whole dxm community is going down the shitter real fast. Been nice knowing you guys.
Yeah, I'll see you in the camps where they can "concentrate" on us when the government declares that anyone whom drinks cough syrup will be sent to the camps.

Or... not!

/runs away

n__u
06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Deaths like these have occured before. I don't think it will limit adults from buying DXM, at least not in the near future.

silent voice of seduction
06-01-2005, 06:05 PM
After the powder supplier crackdown, my guess is that international vendors will fill the gap. There are enough countries where no DEA/FDA-style agency cares about trading of non-scheduled chemicals.

Shadow
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
should we stockpile?

n__u
06-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Wicked@Jun 1 2005, 06:50 PM
should we stockpile?
If you can still get powder, why not? I'm not going to though... DXM will be around man..

Brothabill
06-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by rudine+May 31 2005, 02:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rudine @ May 31 2005, 02:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Wicked@May 31 2005, 01:58 PM
those deaths in florida happened in february [/b][/quote]
No shit, in February, I thought it was a coupla weeks ago, my 'friend' has done of bunch of dxm from chemical api with no problems in the last few weeks and just bought it. But my other buddy took some when he got it from API in February and ended up in the hospital for five days, pneumonia both lungs and organ damage they told him. He mixed it with alcohol, but he only took 800mgs. I dismissed it being the dxm powder itself b/c of my other 'friend' having no problem with the last order, usually ordered from the one that got shutdown before that. Weird.