View Full Version : Parents meet over drug abuse

drdĒv€
05-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Article published May 25, 2005
Parents meet over drug abuse
Kids misusing over-the-counter medicine

By Mike Redelson
Telegraph-Forum staff

BUCYRUS -- Local law enforcement, school officials, social workers and concerned citizens "took time to care" Tuesday night and to address what seems to be a growing problem locally ... drug abuse.

A recent rash of over-the-counter cough and cold medicine thefts got the attention of area residents who want to help put a stop to abuse of the cold remedies and other drugs by young people.

Councilwoman Norma Hill, chair of the council's health and safety committee, organized a community meeting at the Crawford County Fairgrounds Youth Building to define the problem and educate parents and grandparents.

The 25 attendees were briefed about the mental, physical and legal complications that abusing over-the-counter drugs can have.

Police Chief Ken Teets said his officers have had several encounters with juveniles high or stealing medications with dextromethorphan (DXM).

DXM is a safe and effective cough suppressant when used according to directions, Teets said.

Teets said persons high on DXM often appear confused or dizzy and might have slurred speech, impaired physical coordination, rapid heart beat, nausea and vomiting.

"We had one girl who took DXM and sleeping pills and went to the ER saying she was seeing flying hamburgers," Teets said.

Officers have encountered young people "huffing"

everything from PAM spray, to gasoline and condensed air.

Huffing is when a substance is placed in a bag and inhaled for a high.

Teets told parents to be on the lookout for "drug slang" such as "robo-tripping" (the abuse of Robitussin and other cough medicines), "pharming" (a word used for raiding the home medicine cabinets) and "skidilling" (stealing red pills that look like the candy Skiddles).

"Parenting, parenting, parenting," is the advice Crawford County Sheriff's Det. John Butterworth had for those in the audience.

Butterworth urged parents and grandparents to monitor their children's behavior, including checking their rooms for any signs of drug abuse, monitoring their Internet use and looking for physical signs of abuse.

"Don't feel as if you are intruding. You care about them." Butterworth said.

Butterworth said drugs are a problem in the county with the "Big 4" being meth, cocaine, heroin and marijuana.

He said there are no laws prohibiting minors from buying over-the -counter drugs to abuse, but several stores have enacted policies limiting access and sales.

Local physician Dr. Todd Strickland told parents and grandparents to keep kids busy in healthy activities.

He noted any inhalant can be abused and that abuse can lead to illegal drug abuse, even heroin, which he said is a big problem in the county.

Dr. Becky Strickland also said heroin use is "huge" in the county and now people are trying an animal anesthetic called "Vitamin K" to achieve a high.

Virginia Hammontree of CONTACT and Judy Demo-Hodges of the Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Board, both addressed the recent increase in "cutting" incidents in the county, which may be related to drug use in many cases.

The cutting -- slicing one's own skin with a blade -- is done by a person usually depressed.

Demo-Hodges also said there was a "dramatic" increase of reports of heroin and cocaine abuse in the county.

Bucyrus City Schools Superintendent Dr. Paul Johnson said many students are under pressure from their peers to do drugs, have sex and do poorly in school.

"It's not cool to do well in school for many students," Johnson said.

"There is a drug problem here. It is here," Johnson said, noting that the district hopes to start drug testing for students involved in athletics, who drive to school and who participate in extracurricular activities next year.

He said local companies have told school officials that it's hard to find employees who can pass a drug screening.

"Kids don't leave their problems at the school door," Johnson said. The problem of drug abuse is often "generational" with kids following their parents, and grandparents, down the road of drug abuse, he added.

"We in law enforcement spend our careers trying to lessen our business. But we need the help of parents in the area of drug abuse among youths," Teets said.

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com/apps/.../505250303/1002 (http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050525/NEWS01/505250303/1002)

saweet
06-01-2005, 10:57 PM
this was a really badly written/researched article...

- I didn't know students were under pressure from their friends to do poorly in school.

- skiddles?

- ...it's called ketamine...

- the "cutting" issue didn't really have a place in the story...

silent voice of seduction
06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
It's also cool how they always call the effect of taking a drug "getting high". Upper, downer, dissociative, psychedelic, empathogen, deliriant, aphrodisiac, entheogen - it's all the same thing, it just "gets you high".

Shadow
06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
vitamin k? sorry, ive heard ketamine called special k, but never vitamin k...

silent voice of seduction
06-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Wicked@Jun 2 2005, 08:07 AM
vitamin k? sorry, ive heard ketamine called special k, but never vitamin k...
There is an actual vitamin called Vitamin K... not too bright an idea to use the same moniker for a drug.

Shadow
06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
vitamin k, isnt that beta karotine or whatnot thats in carrots?

NeoandGeo
06-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Hmm...better get me some carrots and smoke em for the vitamin k high :P

Arm
06-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by NeoandGeo@Jun 2 2005, 09:53 AM
Hmm...better get me some carrots and smoke em for the vitamin k high :P
That would be great motivation to get the kiddies to eat their carrots.

Shadow
06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
i could just imagine the horrible smell. oh, and dont forget the orange skin and orange specks in the eyes.

Brothabill
06-03-2005, 10:46 PM
ROFLMAO!!!
"We had one girl who took DXM and sleeping pills and went to the ER saying she was seeing flying hamburgers,"

ROBO-t
06-24-2005, 07:49 PM
I've tried smoking banana peels once. A friend of mine and I scraped the peels of about fifteen bananas, mushed 'em into a paste, spread them on a cookie sheet, baked 'em for a couple of hours, and then smoked 'em out of a pop can. It kinda tasted like bananas oddly enough. We kept passing the can back and forth for about ten hits until we finally decided the whole "smoking banana peels to get high" concept was nothing more than an illusion. Then we drank some cough syrup and had a merry day.

Arm
06-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Will smoking banana peels get you high? (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020426.html) :shake: Cecil is a wise man. You must listen to him.

ranticalion
06-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Officers have encountered young people "huffing"

everything from PAM spray, to gasoline and condensed air.

Huffing is when a substance is placed in a bag and inhaled for a high.

I've been huffing air for almost 20 years. It gets you wicked high man. You should try it sometime!

Also, I couldn't figure out wtf "skidilling" was until I saw "skiddles". Looks like someone's been spraying too much PAM cooking spray into a bag and inhaling it... that sprayable butter man... even better than air!