View Full Version : warning about synthetically produced DXM

drdĒv€
05-23-2005, 08:59 PM
FDA Warns About Street Use of Cough and Cold Drug

A drug commonly found in over-the-counter cold and cough medicines may be the cause of five recent deaths when offered in a powdered form sold in capsules on the street.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about synthetically produced dextromethorphan (DXM), saying it is working with law enforcement officials to warn the public about abuse of the the drug's powdered form.

"Although DXM, when formulated properly and used in small amounts, can be safely used in cough suppressant medicines," the FDA says in a news release, "abuse of the drug can cause death as well as other serious adverse events such as brain damage, seizure,loss of consciousness, and irregular heart beat." The agency says that DXM has gradually replaced codeine as the most widely used cough suppressant used in over-the-counter cold and cough remedies.

Calling the trend of finding more DXM being sold in the powdered form "disturbing," the agency has issued the DXM alert and offered a link to its over the counter drug alert Web site..

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared-a...rss/525871.html (http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared-auto/healthnews/prss/525871.html)

AnotherDude
05-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Well! It sounds like the FDA just said that this new synthetically produced, which is in no way different than how the previous, "good" dxm was produced, causes symptoms similiar - if not entirely similar to - the "good" dxm once touted as a supremely safe cough suppresant, gentle enough for kids but strong enough mom?

That's right, it fucks you up. And I buy it where you buy your Thanksgiving turkey. But where do you turn?

You turn in vain. You can't do anything about it, because the same corporations that produce this evil - that swidnle so many hard earned american dollars by spewing catch phrases and family friendly slogans on late night TV - are the ones that own system that keeps these things down. The public doesn't know it, but I do. Criminilization of drugs historically has increased profits to the pharmaceutical industry. This time it will do the opposite. Can corporate America say goodbye to an entire line of well advertised and often purchased products? So long as the corporation run by a system of heroically maximized profits does rule, I will trip when I want to.

cakedrink
05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
These people in control of regulations regarding what you and me ingest need to stop blaming the drug. You have to wonder what they do with all there knowledge of chemicals, seems to me they are out to make a big dollar not to keep people safe.
Also if these people couldn't take the time to look up the plateau dose system then do we really want them here today? That is only natural selection at its best.

c0smoline
05-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Hmm, so maybe this is the reason that like all of the powder suppliers I know have gotten busted and/or yanked DXM from their inventory recently.

Synthetically produced DXM is dangerous? Shit, I guess I'll have to switch over to natural DXM! I'll stop by the farmer's market tomorrow afternoon and pick up a couple of Dextrotrees and some fertilizer, cuz I got some growing to do! :shake:

Sounds like a desperate move on the part of the DEA, a late night session of brainstorming that came to the conclusion: "Shit, lol, kids are buying pure shit off the internet, and there's nothing we can do about it! Fire up the propaganda machine!" Powdered DXm is safer than syrup, even robomax, as long as you can titrate/measure out the proper dose, period.

:shake:

BONERSTORM
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
uhh.. good thing they're getting this synthetic DXM off the strees, and keeping the all-natural plant-based DXM in the cough syrup.

kilo
05-24-2005, 12:07 AM
haha laf

silent voice of seduction
05-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Synthetically produced DXM... LMAO

If this is indeed why the vendors were busted - what legal argument can be behind this? That the vendors didn't have a license to distribute pharmaceutical products? Or is the DEA above the law now?

Midknight
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
The DEA has *always* been above the law...if the convince people their saving lives and being heroes...people turn the other cheek...

We should start pro drug propaganda!

c0smoline
05-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Edited for "supplier discussion" :cry:

05-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by c0smoline@May 24 2005, 04:58 PM
All four vendors I know (knew) got busted and had to pull their dex. This is bullshit, three of them were legit and made you fill out a form saying you were over 18 and wouldn't do anything bad with it. So much for my "legitamate research".
I know, it sucks big time... There are still suppliers though. And drug stores...
The DEA aren't above the law, they are the law! :(
FUCK the DEA. They can compete with the CIA for the title of "most ruthless government-sponsored agency ever". At least the DEA only ravages the US (bad enough) while the CIA exports murder worldwide.

Arnorka
05-24-2005, 11:04 PM
got one of these emails from [email protected] anyone else? i removed the name of the company because i didnt know if it was ok to post it though im sure those in the know will get it right away.. another interesting thing is i replyed to it and on the cc field i got the emails of dozens of other people who also revcieved this.. lol

If you are a recipient of this e-mail you have been identified as a customer of www.***********. ******** *** is currently under investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Office of Criminal Investigations and the U.S. Attorney's Office, Indianapolis, IN.

Dextromethorphan sold by ******** *** has been associated with five deaths throughout the United States. You are strongly cautioned not to use this product. As this investigation continues customers of ******** *** may be contacted by criminal investigators.

Additional information about the dangers of Dextromethorphan use and abuse can be found at the following SAMHSA National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information links. <http://store.health.org/catalog/mediaDetails.aspx?ID=371>,

<http://www.family.samhsa.gov/get/otcdrugs.aspx>

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has published the following warning:

T05-23 Media Inquiries: Bradford Stone

May 20, 2005 301-827-6250

Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA WARNS AGAINST ABUSE OF DEXTROMETHORPHAN (DXM)

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is concerned about the abuse of dextromethorphan (DXM), a synthetically produced ingredient found in many over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold remedies. The agency is working with other health and law enforcement authorities to address this serious issue and warn the public of potential harm, after five recently reported deaths of teenagers that may be associated with the consumption of powdered DXM sold in capsules.

Although DXM, when formulated properly and used in small amounts, can be safely used in cough suppressant medicines, abuse of the drug can cause death as well as other serious adverse events such as brain damage, seizure, loss of consciousness, and irregular heart beat.

DXM abuse, though not a new phenomenon, has developed into a disturbing new trend which involves the sale of pure DXM in powdered form. This pure DXM is often encapsulated by the "dealer" and offered for street use.

DXM has gradually replaced codeine as the most widely used cough suppressant in the United States. It is available OTC in capsule, liquid, liquid gelatin capsule, lozenge, and tablet forms. When ingested at recommended dosage levels, DXM is generally a safe and effective cough suppressant.

Additional information about the dangers of Dextromethorphan use and abuse can be found at the following SAMHSA National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information links. <http://store.health.org/catalog/mediaDetails.aspx?ID=371>,

<http://www.family.samhsa.gov/get/otcdrugs.aspx>

timothy
05-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I guess its a synthetic synthetic.

Shadow
05-25-2005, 01:49 AM
i was just about to point that out... isnt dxm man made? if its natural... tell me the plant i can munch.

05-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Arnorka@May 24 2005, 10:04 PM
Dextromethorphan sold by ******** *** has been associated with five deaths throughout the United States. You are strongly cautioned not to use this product.
You should write back, explain the plateau system and assert that DXM is extremely safe when used with due caution.

kilo
05-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by rudine@May 23 2005, 07:57 PM
uhh.. good thing they're getting this synthetic DXM off the strees, and keeping the all-natural plant-based DXM in the cough syrup.
lmao no joke