View Full Version : Jr. High kids get tough drug talk

drdĒv€
05-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Prescription drugs were focus of program

BY MARCELLE HANEMANN
THE DAILY NEWS

BOGALUSA n Last week, the Bogalusa Police Department was called to action after two junior high school students reportedly got a hold of some drugs and ended up in the hospital. A man suspected of providing the drugs was quickly located and arrested.

This week, Detective Michael Bracey was back at the school telling an assembly of students about the dangers and unpleasantries of drug use. Bracey successfully got the kids' attention and held it for about 45 minutes as he focused primarily on prescription drugs.

Prescription drugs kill more people, due to overdose, than "so-called hard core" drugs, said Bracey. People mistakenly think that because a doctor must prescribe the drugs, they are safe, he said.

But a prescription drug is only good for the person to whom it is prescribed and only in the prescribed dosage, said Bracey. Taking unprescribed drugs can "make you look really dumb to your friends…and you could wake up dead," he said.

Drugs like Loracet, Oxycontin, Methadone and Xanax can cause stinky perspiration, vomiting, explosive diarrhea, uncontrollable shaking, brain damage, nerve damage and death, said Bracey.

"Methadone was probably responsible, in the last two years, for more overdose deaths in this parish than any other drug," he said.

The detective urged the students to spread the information about the dangers of the drugs to their friends and even their parents.

"Tell your parents they should lock up their medicine cabinets," said Bracey. "Most kids get prescriptions drugs from their parents."

Students should tell an adult if they know of someone involved drugs, so they can provide help, he said.

"If you come across someone who has taken drugs and fallen asleep, don't assume they can sleep it off," said Bracey. "You have to tell somebody. Because how are you going to feel the next day if they are dead? You could save somebody's life."

And if someone offers them prescription drugs to take or sell, they should decline, he said.

"It's a crime," said Bracey. "You would go to jail. It's a felony. You'd be in Florida Parishes with your head shaved. How cool is that?"

The detective also warned about dextromethorphan, or DXM, an ingredient in some over-the-counter cough syrups.

"You probably need 20 or 30 capsules to get high," he said. "But then you'll also get over 2,000 milligrams of acetaminophen. You know what acetaminophen does to your liver? It kills it."

The kids jumped in when Bracey asked for questions and gave out "squishy brain" toys to those who took part. One child even answered another's question when the detective could not.

Abagadro is marijuana mixed with Loracet, the child said.

"I never stop learning," said Bracey.

Principal Alva Martin and Jerry O. Payne, superintendent of Bogalusa schools, wrapped up the program by thanking Bracey and encouraging the students to take care of themselves and to stay away from all drugs.

"It's important," said Payne. "You can say no."

http://www.edailynews.info/articles/2005/0...news/news05.txt (http://www.edailynews.info/articles/2005/05/20/news/news05.txt)

c0smoline
05-21-2005, 11:52 AM
The detective also warned about dextromethorphan, or DXM, an ingredient in some over-the-counter cough syrups.

"You probably need 20 or 30 capsules to get high," he said. "But then you'll also get over 2,000 milligrams of acetaminophen. You know what acetaminophen does to your liver? It kills it."

What the fuck?

What the fuck? I mean.... what the fuck? This statement made no fucking sense. let me get this straight... DXM is bad because it contains acetaminophen (Which it doesn't)? That's so incredibly asinine, but it is a very good picture of our nation's current drug policy. Even educated law enforcement officers don't know what the fuck they're talking about and try to scare kids rather than teach them. 2 grams of acetaminophen isn't even that much, acetaminophen doesn't become toxic until about 4,000 mg for most people. I assume the detective was talking about CCC, but he got the ingredients wrong. Wow, that's really retarded, it sounds like he's the one with the "squishy brain". :shake:

n__u
05-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by c0smoline@May 21 2005, 10:52 AM

What the fuck?
Really, that has got to be one of the lamest scare tactics ever.

timothy
05-21-2005, 04:36 PM
explosive diarrhea, oh shit.

waiting4nirvana
05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
"Drugs like Loracet, Oxycontin, Methadone and Xanax can cause stinky perspiration"

Oh no! not stinky perspiration! anything but that! Isnt perspiration generally not the most wonderful smelling stuff?

Also:

"If you come across someone who has taken drugs and fallen asleep, don't assume they can sleep it off," said Bracey. "You have to tell somebody. Because how are you going to feel the next day if they are dead? You could save somebody's life."

Ah, they are training the next generation of narcs!

Shadow
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM

lets do the math here. 2000mg is less than 4 extra strength tylonals. and kills your liver? psh, dude i took 140 generic 500mg extra strength tylonal's(acetaminophen), and im still here. if it wasnt for the EMT's id be gone, but still. i had less than 10% liver function afterwords, but now my liver as of a few months ago was 99% functionality. 2000mg aint gunna do SHIT to your liver, unless u take like 2000mg every 5 minutes or some shit.

:\

heh, and drugs makin folks fall asleep? well, yeah. narc them out? Nah ill check there breathing and stick with em, if it gets bad i can take care of what needs to be done, but i think ill just try and take care of my friend.

Suburban_Prince
05-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@May 21 2005, 06:13 AM

or land them in jail/rehab :P

Midknight
05-22-2005, 05:33 AM
yeah, the standard dose of ace is 1000mg...and double doses aren't really dangerous on any drugs, with the exception of some speeds and I would assume some antideppressants...but other than that...shit.

Arm
05-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@May 21 2005, 05:13 AM
Drugs like Loracet, Oxycontin, Methadone and Xanax can cause stinky perspiration, vomiting, explosive diarrhea
I thought downers and narcotics cause constipation. :eh: And I would think with nasty strong drugs like Oxycontin that would be the least of the persons worries.