View Full Version : Teens Use Cold Medicines To Get High

drdĒv€
04-28-2005, 06:18 AM
The latest drug craze affecting our children is coming from legal drugs. Kids are getting high off over the counter cold medicines.

Drugs are a huge issue facing teens and while some kids say they don't know of it happening around them...

Asheville High School freshman, Seth Jones, says, "I haven't heard anything about that over here."

And sophomore Kent England agrees, "There probably are other people doing it, but none that I know of."

But other teens like 17 year old Abigail Cruey say they know it happens more than you'd like to think. "Lots of teens drink, lots of teens smoke and lots of teens do drugs."

And some of the drugs they're doing comes from you own medicine cabinet.

According to Abigail, "The regular dose is like one or two and if you take the whole packet it has some of the same effects as doing mushrooms....They also drink bottles of Robitussin and things like that, it's called "Robo-tripping." I've seen kids fall on their faces doing that and it's not a pleasant sight, it does the same thing as getting really drunk."

While the cold medicines may create an instant high, the after effects can be quite dangerous.

"You get sick, you throw up, you get bloated and you stumble around, you see double, it's different things for different medications, but you feel sick no matter what you take," says Abigail.

Other more serious side effects include seizures, brain damage and even death. So why are kids putting themselves through this just to get high?

Abigail says, "The cough medicines and things like that, it happens when they can't find anything else or they're short on money, literally, that's why they do it. Kids will do anything to stimulate themselves.”

For more information on cold medicines being used as drugs and tips for parents dealing with drugs and their children, log onto http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk...cine_abuse.html (http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk/cough_cold_medicine_abuse.html).

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=32...92&nav=2KPpZC8k (http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3271192&nav=2KPpZC8k)

silent voice of seduction
04-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Other more serious side effects include seizures, brain damage and even death. So why are kids putting themselves through this just to get high?
Isn't putting yourself through death the ultimate way to get high?

commyjohnny
04-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 28 2005, 05:18 AM

They also drink bottles of Robitussin and things like that, it's called "Robo-tripping." I've seen kids fall on their faces doing that and it's not a pleasant sight, it does the same thing as getting really drunk."

obviously this girl does not know what she is talking about because taking a large amount of DXM is NOT the same thing as getting really drunk

n__u
04-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by commyjohnny+Apr 28 2005, 07:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (commyjohnny @ Apr 28 2005, 07:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdĒv€@Apr 28 2005, 05:18 AM

They also drink bottles of Robitussin and things like that, it's called "Robo-tripping." I've seen kids fall on their faces doing that and it's not a pleasant sight, it does the same thing as getting really drunk."

obviously this girl does not know what she is talking about because taking a large amount of DXM is NOT the same thing as getting really drunk [/b][/quote]
That's what I was about to say. What a dumb fucking kid.

Arm
04-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 28 2005, 04:18 AM
"You get sick, you throw up, you get bloated and you stumble around, you see double, it's different things for different medications, but you feel sick no matter what you take," says Abigail.

While the cold medicines may create an instant high, the after effects can be quite dangerous.
You mispelled alcohol, hope that helps. Stupid editors. :shake:

And if your not old enough to drink and cant get anyone to buy you some alcohol, make your own booze. (http://www.warpbreach.com/6/6.html)

Just another factually inaccurate, sensationalist article. The article at kidshealth.org is laughable. :crazy:

Mista V
04-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 28 2005, 05:18 AM
Asheville High School freshman, Seth Jones, says, "I haven't heard anything about that over here."
Now he has.

The reasoning of so called anti-drug groups like these, if not them all, is that they will somehow actually HELP stomp the teenage drug use in this country by TELLING AS MANY TEENAGERS AS POSSIBLE about the newest, kewlest, cheapest, and legal drugs. :eh: :magnus_grey:

DXM is the perfect example. For how many decades did it remain underground and barely heard of? Then suddenly the rest of the world clued in, the media ran an avalanche of stories, and now everyone knows, including (besides my own grandfather) potential abusers who didn't before.

Midknight
04-29-2005, 05:51 AM
this article was horribly misinforming, and it also made it seem like almost any medication can get you high. Which many can, but some kid is going to od on tylenol 100's and die because of it.

Not to mention it said instant high, and the after effects were double vision, etc etc... I have NEVER taken tussin and felt high before about 20 to thirty minutes, and that's just dizziness and a little gigglyness.

nazrhyn
04-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Midknight@Apr 29 2005, 05:51 AM
this article was horribly misinforming
God. Show me an article in a major news media about drugs that isn't.

I don't even bother being disgusted anymore.

Midknight
04-30-2005, 12:27 AM
good point.

Monoliath
04-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Mista V@Apr 29 2005, 01:11 AM
DXM is the perfect example. For how many decades did it remain underground and barely heard of? Then suddenly the rest of the world clued in, the media ran an avalanche of stories, and now everyone knows, including (besides my own grandfather) potential abusers who didn't before.
...Kind of makes you wonder what the 'true' job of the media is, doesn't it.

*sighs* I'm sorry, and I've been slapped for this before here at the dextroverse, but I stand by it:

1. If your child dies from doing something stupid because he drank 2 (or however many) bottles of cough syrup, and his age clearly defines that you as a parent, have full responsibility for his actions, their death, is upon your head as a parent.

I am sick of seeing articles like this that blame all these 'horrible tragedies' on *laughs* ... cough syrup. Parents need to take responsibility and start paying more attention to their children, and if the parents are in a 'work' situation to where the children can not be given the needed attention...then you deserve to have your child trip out on you on cough syrup because you, as a parent neglected to properly plan for the birth of the child, and set up a nuturing, attentive environment for them to develop in as they get older.

If you work to much to pay attention to your child, learn his habits, the way he thinks...you don't deserve children in the first place. It is obvious that a lot of parents are just too lazy to put in the effort to take care of their children as required.

Now of course, there are situations where this idealogy does not apply, as in any given situation, and indeed, in those scenarios, it is a tragedy, but I still feel that it is not the fault of the 'horrible clasping jaws' of the evil 'cough syrup monster' eating away at our American youth *breaks out laughing*

2. Why is alcohol not treated the same way that DXM is, it causes three-thousand times as much damage and deaths, what is up with the double standards?

wackyarchacki
05-01-2005, 03:06 AM
all articles are misinforming now, there are no news ehtics anymore. Just dont bother listening to it and do your own stuff, and what that person said in the articleabout dxm having the same effect as shrooms is BS.

Monoliath
05-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah, the media is nothing but a silly ratings game.

Ignorance breeds ignorance though, the news and how it is distributed, and its content shouldn't be taken lightly. This mis-information is infecting the minds of those who want to know more about the truth on these matters, and what they're learning affects how they make decisions.

Of course, I mean, pertaining to the media and cough syrup, this argument isn't even necessary, because common sense should come into play here...but I guess everyone's attitude now-a-days is 'who needs common sense when you've got the media'...

'They shall perish for their ignorance' I know *slaps hand* it's a line of scripture, but it does hold true. The ignorant will die for their ignorance, innocent or guilty, it has no sides.