View Full Version : Parents get advice

drdĒv€
04-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Parents get advice on how to fight youth drug abuse
By: PAUL RUPPEL (Fri, Apr/15/2005)

Know your kids. Know their friends and their parents. Know where they are and what they do.

And remember, when your child questions whether you trust them, let them know your concern arises from distrust of the world around them.

That was advice conveyed during a town meeting on drugs held Thursday night at Keith Valley Middle School.

The panel included a district administrator, high school principal, two counselors and two police officers with displays of actual drugs, paraphernalia and resource pamphlets.

About 20 parents turned out for the talk.

Detective Sgt. John Becker of the Hatboro Police Department said these towns are no different than any others. Drugs are bought and sold on the street, and all kinds are abused.

Some things are the same as when parents were growing up. But many things are different, like the strength of even the most well known drugs and the availability of information on the Internet.

"It's not just an adult problem, selling drugs," Becker said, noting that local kids have bought pounds of marijuana for $5,000.

Local teenagers have overdosed on designer drugs, like Ecstasy. Becker called them among the most dangerous because you do not always know what you are getting.

Horsham Detective Robert Waeltz said some kids sell prescription drugs like Valium and Xanax by the pill to other students.

Even over-the-counter medicines are abused. Last year, some local kids used Coricidin, a cold medicine containing a powerful, morphine-like substance. One child died from an overdose.

Counselors said drug experimentation often starts in sixth or seventh grades.

Becker directed parents to Web sites such as www.streetdrugs.org and www.drugs.com. He mentioned agencies that can help. But he also told parents to call police. He has been to homes and had conversations with parents and kids when drugs were found.

"We're not always out to arrest people," Becker said.

In general, he said, "The biggest thing you cannot do is ignore the problem."

Superintendent William Lessa said he is concerned that "we've almost become dispassionate about drug use in our society."

He thanked the "brave souls" seated in the auditorium for coming out, but in the same sentence said, "This room should be full."

Paul Ruppel can be reached at (215) 957-8168 or [email protected].

Article's URL:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/113...005-476602.html (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/113-04152005-476602.html)

Shadow
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
morphine like? im calling him tonight and slapping him over the fucking telephone.

there has recently been a commercial on tv.

"at 6, you cant get your kids to stop talking.... at 16, you cant get them to start.... by just checking up on your child they will less likely to do drugs." or something like that. and its not really true i think. because then kids just do drugs when the parents are asleep.

Arm
04-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 17 2005, 09:21 AM
Local teenagers have overdosed on designer drugs, like Ecstasy.

"We're not always out to arrest people," Becker said.
Ecstasy isnt a designer drug. :shake: By Ecstasy you mean MDMA. MDMA has been around for almost a century.

And yeah right, pigs not out to arrest people. Do you mean harass and use your badge as your dick since the teens are doing Coricidin and it's not illegal to do? :crazy:

sherpa101
04-17-2005, 08:00 PM
MDMA has been arround for a century? really? i thought it was kinda new

c0smoline
04-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by sherpa101@Apr 17 2005, 07:00 PM
MDMA has been arround for a century? really? i thought it was kinda new
No, it was discovered in 1913 or something, but then it was brought into the pop rave scene when it was "re-discovered" in the 70s by Dr. Alexander Shulgin. I have no sources, I am just going off of memory.

I wonder what these people would think when they would learn that you can buy a potent drug (DXM) online with just $50 and a valid paypal account. :parinoid:

libel
04-21-2005, 08:08 AM
why cant you people practice discretion? internet penis +50000 !!!

for every gram of powder ordered ! give me a fucking break.