View Full Version : Headed toward an addiction-free life

drdĒv€
04-11-2005, 03:06 PM
SAN JACINTO: Courage Walk 2005 participants are expected to raise at least $15,000.

11:43 PM PDT on Saturday, April 9, 2005

By DIANE A. RHODES / Special to The Press-Enterprise

Brooke Beckwith was among the approximately 80 participants taking steps to recovery at Courage Walk 2005.

Walking in memory of her sister, Shae Sullivan, who died at 20 in November, the 10-year-old also sold handmade sun catchers and bookmarks to raise money for the La Vista Recovery and Wholeness Center for Women, sponsors of the event.

"I felt like I wanted to help the community in some way," said the fourth-grader before she joined family members near the Mt. San Jacinto College football field.

Debbie Beckwith said her daughter, Shae, battled a long-time addiction to Coricidin HBP, an over-the-counter cold medication popular among teens due to its euphoric effect if taken in large quantities.

A build-up in Shae's system over a long period of time led to an overdose.

"Her heart just went to sleep," said Beckwith who wore a T-shirt with Shae's photo on the front as she walked around the track.

Suzanne LaBrecque lives at House of Hope, one of La Vista's residential treatment facilities.

"This program saved my life," said LaBrecque, 25. "I'm just going to walk until I can't walk any more."

One Step Forward, a trio of clean and sober Hemet musicians, kept the group motivated for two hours with upbeat rock 'n' roll music.

La Vista Executive Director Jane Farmer said the Courage Walk message is that it's possible to break the cycle of addiction even if it has lasted for generations.

"This is also a day to celebrate the life I wouldn't have had if people hadn't reached out to me 20 years ago," said Farmer, who marks two decades in a 12-step program.

Sponsors of Nancy Maich's laps pledged $5,300 in honor of her father, Buck Adair, 82.

"We're very proud of his 32 years of sobriety," said Maich of Hemet. "It means so much that he can be the husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather he wants to be."

Accountant Ben Ruffner estimates the event will raise $15,000 to $20,000 for La Vista Recovery and Wholeness Center for Women.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/hemet/stories/...lk10.5938b.html (http://www.pe.com/localnews/hemet/stories/PE_News_Local_H_hwalk10.5938b.html)

Arm
04-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 11 2005, 01:06 PM
One Step Forward, a trio of clean and sober Hemet musicians, kept the group motivated for two hours with upbeat rock 'n' roll music.
To quote Bill Hicks because I couldnt say it better myself.............

The rock stars today who don't do drugs and who in fact speak out against drugs - We're rock against drugs! ... Boy, they suck.
And if rock aint your thing, for anti-drug rap goes there is always Devastatin' Daves Zip Zap Rap. (http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Devastatin_Dave_the_Cyberslave/)

And one must have the most addictive personality in the world to get addicted to non-narcotic cough medcine. :shake: Wonder what would happen if they did cocaine.

silent voice of seduction
04-12-2005, 08:49 AM
When I hear all this addiction talk, I'm always reminded of what Leary wrote: We are all hopelessly addicted to our little social ego games, and only entheogens can help us break free.

The debate is open on whether Coricidin HBP is an entheogeon :P