View Full Version : Take the First Step: Should troubled

drdĒv€
04-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Take the First Step: Should troubled son consider 12-step programs?

By Dr. Michael Levy

Q: I read with interest your reply to the couple whose son is in a 30-day treatment program. Your advice is correct; it sounds as though their son hasn't "hit bottom" yet and needs to make his own decisions that this problem is bigger than he is. I think your article could have, however, gone a bit further to explain facilities that are available after he gets out of treatment. I'd suggest the Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous programs for starters. Further, there are a number of long-term treatment facilities available that teach recoverers the tools to deal with their dependency problems. Those of us who are fighting for recovery know lifelong vigilance is required to stay clean, but the first step is, well, the First Step: "Accept that we are powerless over alcohol/drugs." I always enjoy your articles.

A: Thank you for your letter and kind words. Certainly, I could have suggested AA or NA for this individual or other longer-term residential treatment programs. The reason I did not was because it did not appear from the letter that this person was ready to accept any type of treatment. I say this because the letter stated that this person's son believed that he could still drink and even use drugs, and I sensed that he simply wasn't ready to make any life changes. Long-term programs can teach people the skills they need to stay clean and sober, but the person needs to be ready to make use of this type of treatment and level of care. But perhaps suggesting AA or NA might have made some sense. If he would have agreed to check out some meetings, it is possible that he might have heard something that would at least have gotten him to start thinking about his use of drugs and alcohol.

Q: Have you ever heard of the expression "robotripping"? I have heard some people talking about this and I am not sure what it is.

A: "Robotripping" is a practice used by some teenagers and refers to taking large amounts of Robitussin DM to induce a high. Some teenagers will buy a 4- or 8-ounce bottle and drink the entire contents of it. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan or DXM, which causes effects similar to alcohol intoxication, including slurred speech, impaired judgment, agitation or drowsiness, staggered walk, dizziness, loss of coordination, nausea, and in larger amounts, hallucinations. So if a teenager is high on this and engages in activities that require coordination and judgment, the potential for problems is greatly increased.

I do not want to give Robitussin a bad name. You should know that DXM is in more than 100 over-the-counter cough medications and is sold in bulk powder form. Finally, I must mention that when used as prescribed, DXM is an effective and safe cough suppressant.

Taking the first step is the hardest part of all. Send questions about your or someone else's behavior that could be the result of addiction or related problems to: Take The First Step, c/o Essex County Newspapers, 32 Dunham Road, Beverly, MA 01915; or send e-mail to [email protected]. Questions will be answered in confidence by a clinical team led by Dr. Michael Levy, director of clinical treatment services at CAB Health & Recovery Services in Salem.

Arm
04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 5 2005, 05:49 AM
"Robotripping" is a practice used by some teenagers and refers to taking large amounts of Robitussin DM to induce a high.
Is there some kind of conspiracy in the medical profession when they discuss Robotripping to say Robitussin DM instead of Maximum Strength cough? What they hope that the ignorant will drink DM, get alot of Guaifenesin, puke and then wont try to robotrip again. :magnus_grey:

vapor
04-05-2005, 03:31 PM
"Accept that we are powerless over alcohol/drugs."

bullshit.

Shadow
04-06-2005, 01:54 AM
not even worth pointing out flaws.

silent voice of seduction
04-06-2005, 05:10 AM
I do not want to give Robitussin a bad name. You should know that DXM is in more than 100 over-the-counter cough medications and is sold in bulk powder form. Finally, I must mention that when used as prescribed, DXM is an effective and safe cough suppressant.
LOL. Sounds like he's been paid by Wyeth to say that. And why on earth is he mentioning bulk powder?

vapor
04-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Feldwebel Pfeffer@Apr 6 2005, 01:10 AM
LOL. Sounds like he's been paid by Wyeth to say that. And why on earth is he mentioning bulk powder?
Yeah mentioning that you can buy dxm in powder form in the same paragraph mentioning how safe it is dosnt seem to flow well..

Psychoactive
04-12-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Wicked@Apr 5 2005, 09:54 PM
not even worth pointing out flaws.
Agreed. Why is it that 99% of articles about cough syrup ab/use are so fucking retarded?
"Some teens" drink "Robitussin DM"...
WTF WAS I THINKING? I'M 22 AND I USUALLY DRANK EQUATE DM!!!!!!!!!!! :O