View Full Version : Drug Trend Threatens Kids

drdªv€
03-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Evan Dawson (Rochester, NY) 03/16/05 - A growing drug trend is sending more teenagers to the hospital. Kids call it "skittling" and it is especially popular in high schools. It involves a cold medication called Coricidin that is easy to find and easy to buy.

Many kids who try skittling don't realize it's actually an intentional drug overdose.

In small doses, Coricidin can help beat your cold or cough but it almost killed one woman's (we'll call her "Jennifer") 16-year old daughter last year.

Jennifer's daughter came home one night after taking a huge does of Coricidin at a friend's house and said, “Mom, I think I'm dying.”
"Her eyes were seizing in her head,” Jennifer said. “She was shaking, and she was panicking. I was panicking. It was the scariest thing that ever happened in my life, the thought that my kid was dying and I couldn't get her to the hospital fast enough."

The trend is called "skittling" because of Coricidin's size and color. Jennifer's daughter survived and she now knows that skittling is no different from intentionally overdosing.

The maximum recommended single dose of Coricidin is two tablets, but kids who abuse it are taking five, ten, or twenty at one time.

Forensic chemist Jim Wesley said, "It can kill you, especially in combination with drugs your doctor may have prescribed…especially anti-depressants."

Jennifer's daughter continues to suffer the effect of skittling.

"She has very bad anxiety attacks,” Jennifer said, “I can't leave her alone for very long. She will call me in a panic." So Jennifer wants pharmacies to take Coricidin off shelves and sell it behind the counter.

Eckerd's Stores have done that, and they require identification, too. However, stores such as CVS still offer Coricidin in their main aisles and that concerns parents.

"This is a drug that is a problem,” Jennifer said. “It may be a small thing to you, but my daughter almost died from it. Take it off the shelves."

She said she was disappointed not to have received any response to her plea.

Symptoms and warning signs of skittling include darting (or seizing) eyes, shaking, hallucinations and a spike in body temperature.

Skittling is essentially the same as what kids call "robo-tripping" which is overdosing on Robitussin.

Jennifer said she has spoken to teenagers in the Rochester area who are still abusing those kinds of drugs because they are so easy to find.

http://www.wokr13.tv/news/local/story.aspx...A9-1A2BFC72FF5B (http://www.wokr13.tv/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1AF5EBD6-49D6-479D-94A9-1A2BFC72FF5B)

Awakened
03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
damn media... STOP CALLING IT SKITTLING! No one actually says that.
That's so freaking retarded. :shake: :thumbsup: :priate_smile:

Rexedgeltoe
03-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Awakened@Mar 17 2005, 07:41 PM
That's so freaking retarded. :shake: :thumbsup: :priate_smile:
Most adults associate skittles with childhood, therefore having a media lable like "skittling" will just compound the idea that kids are incorporating drug abuse into their lives. It's a subtle psychological thing, happens a lot in the media.

Many kids who try skittling don't realize it's actually an intentional drug overdose.
Really, oh then I have wonder what's going through their minds as they ingest entire packets of cold medication?

OtherSyde
03-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by drdªv€@Mar 17 2005, 05:14 PM
Skittling is essentially the same as what kids call "robo-tripping" which is overdosing on Robitussin.
WHAT?!?!

Walkaway
03-18-2005, 10:21 PM
> Many kids who try skittling don't realize it's actually an
> intentional drug overdose.

By medical standards, ingestion of any dose of a drug that is not medically recommended is an overdose. People who get drunk are "overdosing" on alcohol.

It is important to differentiate "overdoses" from "toxic overdoses" and "lethal overdoses."

> In small doses, Coricidin can help beat your cold or cough but it
> almost killed one woman's (we'll call her "Jennifer") 16-year old
> daughter last year.

> Jennifer's daughter came home one night after taking a huge
> does of Coricidin at a friend's house

Note that the dose is unspecified...

> and said, “Mom, I think I'm dying.”

High doses of dissociative anesthetics are well-documented as provoking sensations typically likened to NDEs (near-death experiences)...

> "Her eyes were seizing in her head,” Jennifer said.

Nystagmus, not known to be life-threatening...

> “She was shaking, and she was panicking. I was panicking. It was
> the scariest thing that ever happened in my life, the thought
> that my kid was dying and I couldn't get her to the hospital fast
> enough."

What we have here is a "bad trip" brought on by an ignorant girl taking too much DXM and then panicking her ignorant mother.

> Forensic chemist Jim Wesley said, "It can kill you, especially in
> combination with drugs your doctor may have prescribed…
> especially anti-depressants."

Why are anti-depressants mentioned? Was "Jennifer"'s daughter taking anti-depressants?

> Jennifer's daughter continues to suffer the effect of skittling.

> "She has very bad anxiety attacks,” Jennifer said, “I can't
> leave her alone for very long. She will call me in a panic."

This case is powerful testimony to the fact that ignorant kids should not take powerful psychedelic drugs. It seems to me that the girl might be helped by training in pranayama.

> So Jennifer wants pharmacies to take Coricidin off shelves and
> sell it behind the counter.

I also think hammers are far too widely available. I mean, think about how dangerous they are, and they don't even come with instructions on the side like Coricidin.

> "This is a drug that is a problem,” Jennifer said. “It may be a
> small thing to you, but my daughter almost died from it.

On the basis of the available evidence, this does not appear to be true.

> Take it off the shelves."

Not likely.

> She said she was disappointed not to have received any
> response to her plea.

Ha-ha.

rfgdxm
03-18-2005, 10:39 PM
What we have here is a "bad trip" brought on by an ignorant girl taking too much DXM and then panicking her ignorant mother.
On average, mothers aren't good trip sitters. Then again, a good trip sitter would have insisted the tripper not use Coricidin.

The_Communist_Threat
03-19-2005, 01:06 AM
When will people stop taking coricidin??

and when will people learn not to be fucking idiots.

That's so freaking retarded.

i suggest that we all go outside of a major cooportation and drink some syrup, and the pass out, and have signs in out hands saying "we are just dexing...not SKITTLING"..and maybe the mainstream media will really give a fuck about what its called...

mcdrewbie
03-21-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by VisionQuest+Mar 18 2005, 05:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VisionQuest @ Mar 18 2005, 05:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdªv€@Mar 17 2005, 05:14 PM
WHAT?!?!
[/b][/quote]

well it is pretty much the same
sadly its one of the more accurate articles slang not withstanding

rfgdxm
03-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by VisionQuest+Mar 18 2005, 05:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VisionQuest @ Mar 18 2005, 05:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdªv€@Mar 17 2005, 05:14 PM
WHAT?!?! [/b][/quote]
Rephrasing that:

"Skittling is overdosing on dextromethorphan in the form of Coricidin pills, which is the essentially the same a "robo-tripping", which is overdosing on Robitussin products that contain dextromethorphan."

Which unfortunately is inaccurate in that the reporter seems unaware that CCC also contains CPM, which increases the risks.

Shadow
03-30-2005, 10:13 PM
stop ruining our fucking fun, just because some bitch ass couldn't handle her high. you hear that media! and noone calls it skittling! YOU FUCK TARDS!!!! i agree with the hammers...... but i have an idea. Instead of just killing stupid people, we should take off warning labels from everything and just let the problem solve itself..... :)

We need to start something like the EFF, for the DV. we can call it something cool, that will focus on the actual safety of informed recreational drug usage.... that would be cool.