View Full Version : Robotripping and Skittling: Is Your Teen Abusing?

drdĒv€
03-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Monday March 14, 10:17 am ET
- Alarming trends that every parent should be aware of

MINNEAPOLIS, March 14 /PRNewswire/ -- The Hennepin Regional Poison Center (HRPC) encourages parents to be aware of the signs of teenage abuse of over- the-counter medications. "Robotripping" or "Skittling" are two common -- and potentially deadly -- practices teens are trying.

"Robotripping" is the term referring to ingestion of large amounts Robitussin DM to induce a high. Teens will typically purchase a 4 or 8-oz. bottle at their local store, bring it home and drink the entire contents in the privacy of their rooms. Parents should be alerted to this practice if they are finding empty bottles of Robitussin DM in their rooms or trash. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan or "DXM," which causes effects similar to alcohol intoxication including: slurred speech, agitation or drowsiness, staggered walk, and in larger amounts, hallucinations.

"Skittling" is the term used by teens to describe ingestion of large amounts of Coricidin HBP Cough and Cold. This formulation also contains the cough suppressant dextromethorphan and an antihistamine called chlorpheniramine. Ingestion of large amounts of this product -- also referred to as "triple C's" -- can cause intoxication-like effects, but can also cause a dangerous increase in heart rate and blood pressure, and possibly seizures.

Robitussin and Coricidin products come in many forms. Ingestion of other formulations of these products containing acetaminophen can cause death by liver failure.

During National Poison Prevention Week, March 20-26, 2005 the professionals at the Minnesota Poison Control System are reminding parents to take the time to talk with their teens about the potentially deadly affects of over-the-counter medications, inhalants and other chemicals of abuse in addition to accidental exposures.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050314/cgm050_2.html

~NiRvAnA420~
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM
That is really interesting. In my state, dex isn't that popular. I found a small group (8 people or so) who actually do it and only 3 of those dex frequently. The only place that isn't "dex friendly" is our Wal-Mart and they require you to be eighteen in order to purchase dex products. There hasn't been anything in the papers about it though.

i am the najavo
03-15-2005, 06:57 PM
that i think is a well written article