View Full Version : NyQuil puts ex-judge back in jail

PeoplesMind
03-13-2005, 11:48 AM
ALCOHOL IN NYQUIL VIOLATES DANSER'S HOUSE-ARREST TERM
By Chuck Carroll
Mercury News

A little nip of NyQuil has landed former Santa Clara County Judge William Danser back in the county lockup.

Danser, who was ordered last summer to stay away from alcohol as part of his sentence to 90 days' house arrest for fixing traffic tickets for friends and pro athletes, took the over-the-counter cough remedy March 4 without notifying his probation officer, according to his attorney and the county Probation Department.

NyQuil contains alcohol, traces of which showed up Tuesday in the latest test results of a urine sample taken March 4 during a surprise 9:30 p.m. visit to his home by a probation officer. On Wednesday, Danser was found, in a probation hearing, to have violated the terms of his house arrest and was ordered back to jail to serve the remainder of the 90-day term in custody.

Had Danser's bad cough struck just eight days later, he wouldn't have been ordered back to jail for quaffing NyQuil. At midnight on Saturday, his 90-day term is over, along with the restriction on his alcohol use, said Delores Nnam, a Probation Department spokeswoman. Danser will be released from custody at that time.

Danser was also ordered to serve 400 hours of community service as part of his ticket-fixing sentence.

Danser's lawyer, Kenneth Robinson, said the former judge simply ``forgot'' to tell his probation officer that he had a bad cough and was going to need to take NyQuil -- a product he said was listed by name in the terms of his electronic monitoring as prohibited to Danser unless he notified the official.

Robinson said Danser had passed every previous visit from his probation officer with flying colors. He said none of his previous urine tests contained alcohol, and the official never found any booze in Danser's house -- including her last visit.

He said the official insisted that Danser's wife wake him for a urine sample during the 9:30 p.m. visit, even though she told him he was sick in bed with a cold.

But a small amount of alcohol turned up in the test results Tuesday, Robinson said.

``The moral of this story is, if he gets sick, he goes to jail,'' Robinson said

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ws/11112355.htm (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/11112355.htm)

i am the najavo
03-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by PeoplesMind@Mar 13 2005, 10:48 AM
Robinson said Danser had passed every previous visit from his probation officer with flying colors.
you either pass or not. i can not pass with flying colors too. wtf?

how do you pass with FLYING COLORS?

KingOfDiamonds
03-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I was just about to post this damn you peoplesmind *shakes fist* :P

Suburban_Prince
03-13-2005, 10:38 PM
wow the court system is a bitch! the man had a cough, he took the medacine correctly, and he goes to jail. i swear the government needs an overhaul!

OtherSyde
03-14-2005, 03:57 PM
That is truly a case of idiocy. Like I even need to state that or anything.

Supernaut
03-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Its nice to hear of a crooked judge getting thrown in the slam.

neko
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
"passed with flying colours". i hate that phrase. it sounds like somebody passed the Gay Exam and was welcomed to the fold.