View Full Version : Use by school kids a nightmare for parents

drdĒv€
02-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Monday, February 21, 2005 10:02 AM CST

By ASHLEY GARDNER

Linda Murphy recently got the scare of her life when she discovered her 14-year-old son Bryan Murphy had taken Coricidin. He didn't take it for a cold, but to get high.

"He was at a friend's house and I got a call from my oldest son telling me what he had done," Linda said. "I had never even heard of it."

She made the short trip to his friend's house and picked both boys up.

"He first tried to lie to me but I told him I had already talked to his brother. When I seen them, I could tell something was wrong," Linda recalls. "They were lethargic, like they weren't feeling good and after I got through with them, I think they were scared to death."

Coricidin is a cold medicine for people with heart conditions and contains dextromethorphan, a dissociative anesthetic that can create psychedelic effects at high doses.

"What scared me is that I got on the Internet and I was reading about it. They say something like 80 to 90 percent of Coricidin sold is used recreationally by kids," Linda said. "It's going through this community big time and I don't think kids have a clue how much it can hurt them."

Young Bryan heard about the drug through-where else-friends at school. "They told me it was fun," he said.

Bryan walked into a local store and purchased the drug with no questions asked.

"I was trying not to look nervous," he said.

A couple of hours and four pills later, the effects of the drug had kicked in, but they didn't live up to Bryan's expectations.

"I got dizzy after awhile. I sort of felt sick when I would walk," he remembers. " I got a headache. It was not a good experience."

The experience may not have been good, but medical experts say it was not as bad as it could have been.

Substantial dissociation and hallucinations can occur when taken in excessively large amounts, 10 ounces or more. Users report time and space distortion and out-of-body sensations. Some have reported contacting alien beings or spirits, according to the Current Psychiatry Website.

"I took him to his pediatrician a few days later. She told him how many kids are in the emergency room each weekend overdosing on stuff like this," Linda said. "It's a scary thought to realize how prevalent dex is among school age children."

Linda said parents need to wake up and find out what their kids are doing. She has.

"Anybody can do this. People don't think it's their kids, but it is. It doesn't matter what their family background is," she said. "If you have kids, you have to be aware and never say it couldn't be my child. That's the biggest mistake parents make."

It's an experience Linda hopes she never has to repeat. But when it comes to trust, she knows they still have a ways to go.

"I have made him read so much material. I think I've scared him," Linda said.

"I want to trust him. I think you have to trust but not blind trust."

As for Bryan, he says he's learned his lesson.

"I will never do it again. It's not worth it," he said.

LINK: http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news04.txt (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2005/02/21/local_news/news/news04.txt)

LiquidCucumber
02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow, I'm really glad I have a brother I can trust not to be a tattle-tale.

ranticalion
02-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Feb 22 2005, 08:15 AM
Substantial dissociation and hallucinations can occur when taken in excessively large amounts, 10 ounces or more.
10 ounces huh? Of what? 10 ounces of DXM? of Coricidin pills? cough syrup maybe? I sure hope they mean cough syrup, but there's no way of telling since they don't mention cough syrup anywhere, only Coricidin. They also never even mention that DXM is used as a cough suppressant.

KeithParadigm
02-22-2005, 03:12 PM
^ Hah, I was just about to post that. I don't think the author of this article did her research :)

Masonna
02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
what is it with journalism these days? when i was in highschool if we turned in a paper that was filled with half truths or thrown together we would have gotten an F, but for some reason that kind of thing is now acceptable? shit im starting to think i can be a writer for a paper, come up with some story that i know will spark some attention then fill it with half truths and lies because im too ignorant to do any research. this makes me sick

DXM User
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by tripp420+Feb 22 2005, 12:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tripp420 @ Feb 22 2005, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdĒv€@Feb 22 2005, 08:15 AM
Substantial dissociation and hallucinations can occur when taken in excessively large amounts, 10 ounces or more.
10 ounces huh? Of what? 10 ounces of DXM? of Coricidin pills? cough syrup maybe? I sure hope they mean cough syrup, but there's no way of telling since they don't mention cough syrup anywhere, only Coricidin. They also never even mention that DXM is used as a cough suppressant. [/b][/quote]
Shit I've had OOBEs, hallucinations, and extreme dissociation off a 4oz... this lady's a fucking MORON.

libel
02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
what is it with journalism these days? when i was in highschool if we turned in a paper that was filled with half truths or thrown together we would have gotten an F, but for some reason that kind of thing is now acceptable? shit im starting to think i can be a writer for a paper, come up with some story that i know will spark some attention then fill it with half truths and lies because im too ignorant to do any research. this makes me sick

word

The_Communist_Threat
02-22-2005, 09:56 PM
haha...10 ounces...shit.....10 ounces of DXM...that would be really good for a person...shit..10 ounces of any chemical is going to fucking kill you....

and her son only took 4 pills???...i think he'll live...a 14 year old shouldn't be fucking around with dxm anyway...unless he is mature and knows what he is doing..and obviously this kid is neither of the 2.

Bryan walked into a local store and purchased the drug with no questions asked.

"I was trying not to look nervous," he said.

O MY GOD...YOU CAN BUY OTC MEDICATION WITHOUT BEING QUESTIONED ABOUT IT!!?!?!?!?!?!?...i guess GW BUSH isn't doing his job now is he...haha..this article is fucking absurd...and he was trying not to look nervous...he is buying it..not stealing it...and its not alcohol or cigarettes...this kid and this article really pissed me off...and the kids brother is a douche too...

RIDICULOUS...RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!

squidman
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Users report time and space distortion and out-of-body sensations.

So maybe we could use dxm to create a warp-hole to another dimension? Maybe a time machine? any takers?

kilo
02-22-2005, 10:54 PM
I think 10 ounces of Coriciden would kill a rhino.

Mista V
02-22-2005, 11:07 PM
"...dextromethorphan, a dissociative anesthetic that can create psychedelic effects at high doses."

this article, like most, had its share of sensational bullshit, but this has to be one of the more accurate descriptions of DXM i've read (even though the reporter probably stole it and didn't understand it). whether or not that's a good thing though...

"Young Bryan heard about the drug through-where else-friends at school."

because obviously ALL kids hear about drugs at school from other degenerate kids, certainly not from the endless stream of ill-informed newspaper articles that present DXM to the world.

"As for Bryan, he says he's learned his lesson. 'I will never do it again. It's not worth it,' he said."

good, we don't need anymore ignorant dumbshits putting themselves in hospitals and creating more publicity for DXM

Eloivore
02-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Masonna@Feb 22 2005, 08:31 PM
what is it with journalism these days? when i was in highschool if we turned in a paper that was filled with half truths or thrown together we would have gotten an F, but for some reason that kind of thing is now acceptable?
Ah, it sounds like you're under the mistaken impression that the real world operates in the altruistic manner they tell you about in high school and college. Yeah, I was that way too.

Real-world journalism -- like just about every other career -- is about EXACTLY one thing: making money for the companies that own the newspapers. It doesn't matter how altruistic you are when you leave college; the only way you're likely to succeed in most businesses is to shitcan your dreams and ethics and start sucking dick. By the time you actually *get* to the point where you have enough mojo to speak the truth and get away with it -- if you ever get to that point -- you've been lying for so long you wouldn't know truth if it crawled up your leg and bit asscheeks off.

They usually call this "whoring yourself out", but outside of street walkers, all the prostitutes I've met were basically contractors, and they have (and exercise) the right to refuse service to anyone. I think the whores have a better handle on their ethics.

With rare exception these DXM news stories are abyssmal. They aren't about a search for truth -- about presenting a balanced view, or even trying to figure out *why* kids are doing it in the first place. They're about sensationalism and eyeballs and market share, and who cares if kids get fucked over in the process? I don't expect to ever see any more balanced or in-depth treatment of DXM from the mainstream media.

Tyutchev
02-23-2005, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Mista V@Feb 22 2005, 11:07 PM
"...dextromethorphan, a dissociative anesthetic that can create psychedelic effects at high doses."

this article, like most, had its share of sensational bullshit, but this has to be one of the more accurate descriptions of DXM i've read (even though the reporter probably stole it and didn't understand it). whether or not that's a good thing though...
I agree. It was largely bullshit but she obviously did a little more research than most journalists who write about DXM. I mean, it's the first time I've ever seen largely positive effects of DXM (time/spacial distortion, contact with alien beings, OBEs, etc.) mentioned. Usually they just say "In high doses dextromethorphan causes hallucinations, lethargy, coma and death".

And bwhite, I'm going to be a journalist. I mean, I'll be studying it and I hope to make a career out of it. Call me altruistic, but I really do believe that I can be different. The fact is that I couldn't work for somebody if I had to print half-truths and bullshit. I just can't handle that. I can't handle authority as it is. There have been good journalists (Tom Wolfe, PJ O'Rourke, Hunter Thompson, Lester Bangs, to name a few) who've been committed to truth and decency. I understand your point, though. It's just what you said scares me- what if my own altruism is stomped on by the greedheads of mainstream media? If I turn out like this bitch in 20 years time I want one of you to come and shoot me.

squidman
02-23-2005, 05:51 AM
What about Michael Moore?

NeoandGeo
02-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Mista V@Feb 23 2005, 12:07 AM
"As for Bryan, he says he's learned his lesson. 'I will never do it again. It's not worth it,' he said."

good, we don't need anymore ignorant dumbshits putting themselves in hospitals and creating more publicity for DXM"
Exactly...I want to keep the experience to myself and to those that can handle it...Not stupid little 14 yr. olds

Tyutchev
02-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by squidman@Feb 23 2005, 05:51 AM
What about Michael Moore?
Michael Moore is okay, but he pisses me off too much. Pinkos generally do, they're too often blinded to reality by ideology. Also, he is incredibly biased- which is okay, HST is biased too -but he never admits his bias, unlike most outlaw journalists, which is where his style fails. He presents what he says as the TOTAL facts of the story, without ever saying that he has a strong bias and that there is another side to what's going on.