View Full Version : Cmu Student Arrested On Drug Charges

void
08-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Mark Parraway, a now former junior computer science student, was arrested and charged with drug-related offenses in mid-July. New evidence suggests his arrest may have been in error. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on July 29, Parraway had several items seized from his luggage at the Pittsburgh International Airport on the way to visit his grandmother in Raleigh, N.C. The containers field-tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, and ecstasy, which prompted a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) search on Parraway’s Theta Xi residence. However, KDKA reported on August 15 that the substances confiscated from Parraway were tested in the Allegheny County crime lab to be the legal drug dextromethorphan, which is not listed on the DEA’s drug schedule. The schedule lists every substance that the DEA attempts to control.

DEA authorities were surprised to hear of the findings, noting that false positives in field testing are rare.

Parraway’s lawyer was quoted at the time of his arrest that the charges would not pan out in rigorous testing. Charges currently levied against him include three counts of drug possession, two counts of drug possession with intent to deliver, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to the Campus Police crime blotter, Parraway’s Theta Xi residence was searched by the DEA on July 17 around six in the evening. The DEA called CMU Police that day to inform them of the impending search.

“Our job is really just to facilitate, show them where the location is,” Doyle said when asked about the involvement of campus police in the search. According to the police blotter, the action was listed as “Assist Outside Agency.” Renée Camerlengo, director of Student Life, went with Campus Police representatives and the DEA to the Theta Xi house.

In mid-August, the DEA contacted Campus Police again to re-enter the house and interview some of the brothers. CMU Police informed the DEA of their desire to keep the targets of the interviews focused, such as only the people who live in the rooms adjoining Parraway’s. They also suggested using Campus Police headquarters as a neutral arena for the interviews rather than going over to the fraternity house and conducting them there. Doyle said that since then they have not contacted Campus Police about conducting such interviews.

When contacted concerning the case, DEA Detective Don Michael Oesterle of the airport enforcement division said he could not comment on pending investigations.

Pittsburgh DEA administration officials also declined to comment, citing similar reasons.

When approached about the incident, an unidentified Theta Xi brother said, “I have nothing to say about that.”

The Post-Gazette also reported Parraway stating that he buys and sells the substance dextromethorphan in large quantities as part of a legitimate business. Dextromethorphan, also known as DXM, is found in Robitussin and according to “Recreational DXM” (http://www.dextromethorphan.ws) is used for recreational purposes by many. Its effects can be compared to the dissociative drugs ketamine and PCP. The site also contains links to instructions on how to extract DXM from Robitussin.

The Division of Student Affairs declined to comment.

READ ARTICLE: http://www.thetartan.org/98/1/news/3700.asp

DXmethorphan420
08-27-2003, 01:43 AM
more, and more publicity. im puttin money on DXM being illegal very soon any takers? heheh well enjoy while it lasts everyone..

peac3, and happy dex'n

PeoplesMind
08-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by DXmethorphan420@Aug 26 2003, 11:43 PM
more, and more publicity. im puttin money on DXM being illegal very soon any takers? heheh well enjoy while it lasts everyone..
I'll take. I doubt it.

peace,
Nitin

DXmethorphan420
08-27-2003, 11:07 PM
You're prolly right but.. DXM just seems .. to good to be true, i dunno. More, and more stores are puttin robo max, and coricidin behind the counters here in AZ, but i than god they are starting to but CCC away because it's giving DXM a bad name and really affecting a few of my friends and alot of kids, in a very, very bad way..

peac3.

youph
08-28-2003, 01:35 AM
To schedule DXM, the DEA would need to get congress to pass a new law. When The Controlled Substances Art was written, DXM was specifically exempted from the law.

“(2) Dextromethorphan shall not be deemed to be included in any schedule by reason of enactment of this subchapter unless controlled after October 27, 1970 pursuant to the foregoing provisions of this section.”

http://www.dea.gov/pubs/csa/811.htm#g

To change this, the law would need to be amended, and this takes the power of the legislative branch (congress), not the executive branch (DEA.)

Na-ne-na-ne-poo-poo! :P

pr0zac
08-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Wow, that was a very well written article I must say. Didn't attack the kid for selling DXM, quoted a good resource without bad mouthing them, and got the effect comparison correct. Seemed very unbiased and well written. Don't see those very often.

-zac

PeoplesMind
08-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Heh, i knew the person lol, exchanged a few emails from him.. thanks for the specific clarification euph, but let me make sure nobody gets confused.

Selling DXM For recreational purposes and/or for human consumption is ILLEGAL (and intent for this.. aka selling it in 500mg caps implies your selling for human consmption). It does not fall under the DEA, but under the FDA if you sell (does not mean you should do it anwyay)

peace,
Nitin

Magnus_Grey
08-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Selling drugs, under any context, is always more trouble and less profitable than people expect, IMHO.

-Bryan

robojunkie
09-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Never under estimate how retarded our government can be, this is a warning, they amend laws and make new ones everyday.

Bevo
09-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DXmethorphan420@Aug 27 2003, 12:43 AM
more, and more publicity. im puttin money on DXM being illegal very soon any takers?
Well, there's a new product around here called Robitussin CoughGels, containing only 15mg of DXM per capsule. I'm thinking that if they were going to make dex illegal anytime soon, there wouldn't be another easily-abusable product like this come out....

peace

pillpopper2
09-07-2003, 09:33 PM
>Never under estimate how retarded our government can be, this is a warning, they amend laws and make new ones everyday.

I beg to differ. The government is very retarded and they most definatly don't ammend laws everyday.

robojunkie
09-08-2003, 01:06 AM
i think they do, thery keep adding to laws and creating new ones.

DXmethorphan420
09-08-2003, 09:15 PM
i kinda got this whole post off topic.
"the legality of DXM"
heheh, sorry...

PEAC3!!!

stormz
09-12-2003, 04:58 AM
i can magic eye the dxm