View Full Version : man guilty of intoxicated manslaugter

drdĒv€
11-16-2004, 07:39 PM
A 20-year-old man faces up to 20 years in prison after a Randall County jury found him guilty of intoxication manslaughter Monday in connection with a 2003 fatal motorcycle accident.

Joshua Lee Adams broke down shortly after the jury gave the verdict Monday afternoon, doubling over in his chair and sobbing.

Prosecutors alleged Adams was high on cough medicine when he ran into Gerald Durant Grooms on South Farm-to-Market Road 1541 and Plantation Road on the night of April 14, 2003.

Grooms, 37, was stopped on his motorcycle, preparing to make a left turn on to Plantation.

Adams' attorney, Randy Sherrod, told jurors in closing arguments the state failed to prove Adams was intoxicated and that intoxication caused Grooms' death. He argued commotion by passengers in the back seat of the 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva distracted Adams, causing the accident.

"It's a terrible situation," he said. "Don't compound it by convicting someone who's not guilty under the law."

Criminal District Attorney James Farren presented several witnesses who testified Adams had used cough medicine, specifically Coricidin, to get high, and he appeared intoxicated that night.

"His actions alone were clearly what caused the death of Gerald Grooms," he said.

Jurors also found him guilty of using a deadly weapon, a special issue set out for them to consider in the charge.

Jurors deliberated about three hours. The trial began Nov. 9, and the punishment phase continues today. Adams, who was out on bond, was taken to Randall County Jail. He faces two to 20 years in prison.

Link: http://amarillo.com/stories/111604/new_605766.shtml

Plastic-Jesus-Fetus
11-18-2004, 03:41 PM
that is a major fucking bummer for that dude.
i really hope he doesnt spend the next 20 years in jail because of one stupid mistake.
he obviously didnt mean to kill the person and he is in terrible emotional torment over it
and now they are gonna throw him in jail and accuse him of killing a human which will only make everything that much worse.
what the fuck is the world coming to?
damn pigs should go after the people killing innocent people for money and shit like that.
ugh im pissed at the government and its bullshit claims of giving justice

Eloivore
11-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I don't buy that.

I've had a couple friends get seriously hurt (and one dead) because of drunk drivers. Sometimes "I'm sorry" isn't enough. If you get in the car intoxicated enough to fuck with your driving ability, you are willingly putting other people's lives at risk. If you aren't *sure* you're going to be together enough to know not to drive, give your keys to someone else until you're sober.

Manslaughter is appropriate. If you do something dumb where you could/should have known better, and someone winds up dead, that's manslaughter. If you *intentionally* kill someone that's murder. Sorry this guy's life is going to be fucked up for awhile, but it was his choice, and he's still alive. Stupidity should be painful.