View Full Version : Drug Stores Removing OTC's

drdĒv€
10-11-2004, 04:22 PM
...The nation's major drug stores are taking steps to deal with the growing problem of teens using household medicines to get high. The Washington Post reports that big pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens are resorting to such things as putting age and number restrictions on cold medicine purchases, and keeping such things as even cough suppressants behind the counter. That is all because of a trend the companies, doctors, and others are seeing in teens abusing these drugs -- a trend they fear could become an epidemic. One recent example involved five ninth-graders in the Washington, DC, area who swallowed a cocktail of Coricidin and a motion-sickness drug. They were rushed to a hospital for treatment. The report says the problem is particularly bad among a certain demographic: mostly suburban, mostly young, and mostly middle-class, who turn to drugs because of boredom and rebellion.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/10/112004h.asp

nomadicoder
10-11-2004, 06:35 PM
God, kids really need to learn to be smarter. The more kids that are hospitalized for ODing on CCCs or other stuff, the harder it is for everyone that isn't as responsible. If only these kids took the time to research what they do before they did it. I just hope it doesn't become impossible to get stuff. Shouldn't get too bad though since I'm 18 and usually they limit stuff for the minors.

vapor
10-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by nomadicoder@Oct 11 2004, 05:35 PM
God, kids really need to learn to be smarter. The more kids that are hospitalized for ODing on CCCs or other stuff, the harder it is for everyone that isn't as responsible. If only these kids took the time to research what they do before they did it. I just hope it doesn't become impossible to get stuff. Shouldn't get too bad though since I'm 18 and usually they limit stuff for the minors.
same here, im 20 now, and the only restrictions im seeing is quanity. But most stores arnt instituting a quanity policy, so there should always be another sotre without restrction.

Unless your a huge dexer, it become more difficult, i only dex once a week, sometimes less, actually been almost 2 months since my last dose.

If you a dex frequently, you know were to go.

House
10-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm all for restrictions on on these products. My only issue is that of possible theft-increase. For any other reason I can imagine, though, these restrictions are good.

cindowsxp
10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
I have to agree with Harmony on this one. Anything that can keep it out of the hands of people that don't do the research is good. It may make it harder for some of the younger dexers here, but there is always a way for you guys to get what you need, be it an older friend and powder, some mom and pop store, or something along those lines.

libel
10-11-2004, 09:25 PM
i agree with harmony and cindowsxp on this one..these stories will continue to pop up even more D:

hitmang11
10-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Oct 11 2004, 03:22 PM
One recent example involved five ninth-graders in the Washington, DC, area who swallowed a cocktail of Coricidin and a motion-sickness drug. They were rushed to a hospital for treatment. The report says the problem is particularly bad among a certain demographic: mostly suburban, mostly young, and mostly middle-class, who turn to drugs because of boredom and rebellion.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/10/112004h.asp
Ok someone please answer this.... Are these kids being rushed to the hospital because the parents dont know what the fuck is going on while there triping or cause the kids have no idea what to expect on high doese of DXM
Granted i realise were talkin CCC in this case, but ive read cases where its just DXM
And in that case they should come down in a few hours
And when there taking to the hospital they dont really do shit just monitor them, they pretty much just let them ride out the high.
So why are teens always being "RUSHED" to the hospital?

Ubiquitous
10-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Heh. In walmart, theres no age restrictions and crap, but when you purchase anything from there, like that bottle of cough syrup, they make sure you only have 1 because your not allowed to purchase more then 2 products that have psuedophenadrine in it or something...

Uhh, in CVS they put Coriceden behind the counter, and they still have it OTC, but they ask you for ID for it. And in Ekerds theres like nothing for restrictions.

c3pt0r
10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by LlamaOfDeath@Oct 12 2004, 10:13 AM
Heh. In walmart, theres no age restrictions and crap, but when you purchase anything from there, like that bottle of cough syrup, they make sure you only have 1 because your not allowed to purchase more then 2 products that have psuedophenadrine in it or something...

Uhh, in CVS they put Coriceden behind the counter, and they still have it OTC, but they ask you for ID for it. And in Ekerds theres like nothing for restrictions.
i buy 3 bottles of robo gels no problem no id check no questions at walgreens, ecerds, publix, never had a problem , i just bought 3 botttles right nwo :)

-c3pt0r-

robomax
10-12-2004, 02:32 PM
cough syrup ruined my life

chris hansen
10-12-2004, 09:52 PM
I look at articles like this and I wonder if I was ever that stupid. The older I get the more I realize why parents are so uptight about their kid's health. Kids are fucking stupid. As for age restrictions, I don't care, 5 more months and I'm 18, I could wait till then to dex.

S0up
10-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Wait till August 11 2005 then I will be all behind not selling DXM to people under 18 :sly:

rfgdxm
10-12-2004, 10:47 PM
I still have the sneaking suspicion this is less about protecting kids than it is about loss prevention. IOW, these stores are doing this just to keep shoplifting under control. They can't make a profit unless they keep certain DXM products behind the counter because of all the shoplifting by kids. I'm tempted to have a chat at the local CVS about this policy with the pharmacist. Of course not mentioning my websites that come up on the top of relevant searches on all the search engines that count. ;) If I start out mentioning *that*, the pharmacist will just refer me to the corporate public relations department.

House
10-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by S0up@Oct 12 2004, 05:57 PM
Wait till August 11 2005 then I will be all behind not selling DXM to people under 18 :sly:
I'm 17. I'm underage. ::shrugs::

Hitmang-- you're probably right. These people are probably ignorant in the sense that they did no research and overdosed-- and got more than they expected. If I wasn't expecting a reaction like that in my kid, I'd rush them to the hospital, too, though. Unfortunately, we can't know for sure what landed them in the hospital. We can only rest assured we are more intelligent than these people who use drugs irresponsibly (most of us, anyway).

Also, rfg, that's what I was thinking. Age restrictions would lead to a lot of theft, IMO, thus the implementation of behind the counter methods of sale. In any event, I support it. I'm not sure that talking to anyone at any store will really get you anything but a suspicious eye, though. :P

Midknight
10-13-2004, 04:45 AM
if your under 18 and actually worried, then just stalk up.

Just buy a couple bottles at the store every few days until you have a nice supply, just incase...

cindowsxp
10-13-2004, 09:55 PM
or, money order = powder.

ZenRaver
10-14-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Oct 11 2004, 02:22 PM
mostly suburban, mostly young, and mostly middle-class, who turn to drugs because of boredom and rebellion.
Remember kids, it's all about boredom and rebellion, not a search for meaning and fulfillment in a spiritually bankrupt society :pr0zac:

silent voice of seduction
10-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by LysergicZenRaver+Oct 14 2004, 12:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LysergicZenRaver @ Oct 14 2004, 12:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdĒv€@Oct 11 2004, 02:22 PM
mostly suburban, mostly young, and mostly middle-class, who turn to drugs because of boredom and rebellion.
Remember kids, it's all about boredom and rebellion, not a search for meaning and fulfillment in a spiritually bankrupt society :pr0zac: [/b][/quote]
spiritual bankruptcy => boredom => rebellion => drugs => spiritual discovery => more rebellion => revolution.

wait, why is there no revolution?

deadheadbeast
10-14-2004, 04:01 AM
spiritual bankruptcy => boredom => rebellion => drugs => spiritual discovery => more rebellion => revolution.

There is a revolution. Unfortunately, it's not from the dexers. It's the companies moving all of it behind the counter. :(

Mista V
10-14-2004, 01:04 PM
I live near our nation's capital and I saw that article in the Washington Post. It wasn't buried somewhere in the paper, it was right smack dab on the front page along with Iraq and the elections :nitin: :nitin: :nitin:

the ashtar
10-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Feldwebel Pfeffer@Oct 14 2004, 01:31 AM

Because everyone is lazy and high on coughsyrup.

timothy
10-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Why August 11th, 2005 ?

cindowsxp
10-14-2004, 09:10 PM
i bet that would make him 18

timothy
10-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Oh, doh, on that date he said he will be all behind it.....
I must have completely mis-read his post.

(/me counts the empty beer bottles on his desk from last night)

b0rg_
10-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Mista V@Oct 14 2004, 12:04 PM
I live near our nation's capital and I saw that article in the Washington Post. It wasn't buried somewhere in the paper, it was right smack dab on the front page along with Iraq and the elections :nitin: :nitin: :nitin:
Yes you know that really bothered me that that article was smack dab right on the front page of the washington post. I live in downtown DC and this article is very disconcerting. In general its not good seeing this on the front page of a very popular newspaper. The cvs's I shop at all still have gels and syrup right in the medicine aisle. Lets hope that just stupid shit like ccc goes behind the counter.

b0rg_
10-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Another FYI - I am happy to report that not only have the downtown DC CVS's not only not moved the syrup or gels - but now carry an inexpensive version of CVS brand robogels now too. Seems that they didnt wanna miss out on the profit from the robogel fad. Good for them. :pr0zac:

Ubiquitous
10-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by b0rg_@Oct 29 2004, 09:58 AM
Another FYI - I am happy to report that not only have the downtown DC CVS's not only not moved the syrup or gels - but now carry an inexpensive version of CVS brand robogels now too. Seems that they didnt wanna miss out on the profit from the robogel fad. Good for them. :pr0zac:
LOL. and their doing it at all the small branches. They got plenty of them here too, in my small town I probibly buy as much tussin as an average city would.

DXM User
10-31-2004, 08:45 PM
The people behind the checkout counter at my Sav-On are always either tweaking or dexed up themselves!

I remember going in there one time and there were 2 or 3 empty bottles of Tussin on the desk behind the checkout counter :pr0zac: The chick (who, might I add, was very very insanely sexy with her eyes dialated like that) just smiled at me as she scanned my 3 boxes of DexAlones :thumbsup:

I know I'll always have easy access to DXM in my town, so long as those guys always work there!

Blue Bear
11-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Dude thats inspiring^_^ I decided the other day to go to every checkout counter and hope someone says something like "dexxin eh?" I hope for it everytime.

(which isn't much because I dex like twice a month)

DXM User
11-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Ya I'm seriously debating asking this chick to dex with me. Sure she's like... 10 years older than me.. but she's chill.

Eloivore
11-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Feldwebel Pfeffer@Oct 14 2004, 01:31 AM
Because they're usually coopted by power-hungry fuckers hell-bent on starting a dictatorship?

squidman
11-20-2004, 10:10 PM
yeah, the local city-Market in town has the cheap robogels as well as the 'real ones'. They ALSO have dexalone, although it it is right next to the pharmacy window (I don't mind, in fact that is a good idea). I hope that CCC get's put away for good. In my last 'placement' under the Division of Youth corrections, a kid living there got ahold of some CCC, and was tripping while I was there on the couch. Since he was pretty fucked up I wrote him a note explaining CCC and how dangerous it is, and that there are documented cases where people have DIED from taking 20 pills. He seemed to take it in stride, even though he was tripping on nearly two full boxes of Coricidin. I told him abouth the dangers of it, and he seemed to be interested. I had him read the note I left for him when his high was over.
I just hope that DXM becomes safer to use and I think that it should be restricted to people 18 and up. When I was less than 18 Years old, I would have disagreed with myself (currently) on this issues. However, when I look at the way I used to be, and when the things that I know now are compared to what they used to be, I simply believe that the opinion I have now is better validated and thought-out.