View Full Version : "Some local students getting high on Coricidin."

rfgdxm
09-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh....

(rfgdxm bangs his head against monitor)

"Kids are very savvy as far as looking on the Internet for things to get high."

"A quick search found hundreds of Web sites dedicated to the pill."

First, hundreds of websites devoted to Coricidin? Gee, I'm not aware of them, and I happen not only to be the listed editor for http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Drugs/Dissociatives/DXM/, but also the listed editor for http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Drugs/. It would be all kinds of bad for me if the superior editors noticed that I somehow was unaware if these hundred of sites about Coricidin. I just can't find these hundred of sites using Google, and curiously no site about Coricidin that isn't listed in the DXM category has ever submitted their URL. Pray tell me what search engine I am unaware of that you used?

"Hogue said the ingredient users are trying to abuse is dextromethorphan (DXM), but the antihistamine chlorpheniramine and acetaminophen (Tylenol) also are components of the drug."

CCC doesn't have acetaminophen. And, didn't some guy put up a site at http://www.coricidin.org point out why DXM + chlorpheniramine is a bad idea? And isn't that site #1 on every search engine worth mentioning for a search on "Coricidin"?

"During the past few years, people across the country have started taking high dosages of Coricidin for a supposed euphoric, psychedelic high. In that time, several people have died from overdoses."

Yeah, and this can be found on my websites. A parent whose daughter died of a Coricidin overdose and found my sites after her kid died e-mailed me thanking me for them. Seriously. I even have a printed copy I look at in moments like this.

"For more information on over-the-counter drugs and what they might interact with, ask your doctor, your pharmacist or the poison control center"

Or enter the name of the drug on Google.

It's shit like this that tempts me to just fire up the FTP client and wipe out my sites. I probably should dig that e-mail from that mother and tack it to the wall to remind me why this would be a Bad Thing.

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2004/09.../news/news2.prt (http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2004/09/09/news/news2.prt)

Some local students getting high on Coricidin

By Russ Krebs/Tribune Staff

Are your kids skittling?

If they are, they could be on the way to injuring vital organs or possibly even death.

Many parents know it's a bad sign if they see lots of cold pills containing pseudoephedrine in their children's possession. Pseudoephedrine is one of the pre-cursors to methamphetamine and is not normally purchased in large amounts.

However, cold pills containing pseudoephedrine aren't the only type of over-the-counter cold pills parents must look out for anymore.

Just last week, according to the Fremont Police Department, a ninth-grade-student took a few Coricidin HBP Cough & Cold tablets that were given to her. After taking the pills, the girl became sick at a friend's house and Officer Jim Butts, FPD school resource officer at Fremont High School, went to the scene.

"Somebody brought red pills into school in an Icebreakers container," he said. "The girl said she was told it would make you really happy and concentrate better n it did the opposite. She was sick, throwing up and said she lost track of about 45 minutes of time."

Butts had never seen the round red pills with three "C's" on them, but quickly found out they were Coricidin or "Skittles" as some students call the pills because of their candy shape.

"Poison Control knew what they were as soon as I called," he said. "They said they've heard of quite a few overdoses."

During the past few years, people across the country have started taking high dosages of Coricidin for a supposed euphoric, psychedelic high. In that time, several people have died from overdoses.

The problem is just starting to reach Fremont.

"I personally have seen a few cases here," said Dr. John Hogue, emergency room physician at Fremont Area Medical Center. "We're not seeing a lot of this. We're seeing the tip of the iceberg."

In 2002, he said police brought in two teenagers they though were drunk but who had taken large amounts of Coricidin.

One took 28 tablets.

Butts said the girl last week told him she had taken four pills.

Hogue said in FDA recommended dosages and minus any drug interactions or previous health conditions, that Coricidin is a safe cold pill.

It's when people take a large amount of it that it can become a problem.

"This is an intentional abuse. We're not seeing babies eating them by accident," Hogue said. "Kids are very savvy as far as looking on the Internet for things to get high."

A quick search found hundreds of Web sites dedicated to the pill.

Hogue said the ingredient users are trying to abuse is dextromethorphan (DXM), but the antihistamine chlorpheniramine and acetaminophen (Tylenol) also are components of the drug.

While dextromethorphan can be a safe and effective cough suppressant at recommended doses, it can cause hallucinations and other problems at high dosages, he said.

"If your child can't talk to you because they're confused, have slurred speech or seems drunk and you don't sense alcohol, call Poison Control or take them to the emergency room," Hogue said. "If your kid is vomiting, walking funny, has a dry mouth, dilated pupils, hot then cold and can't talk to you, get them help."

Other symptoms of Coricidin overdose include nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, sweating, seizure, confusion, sedation, insomnia, tremor and an irregular heartbeat.

Hogue said internal bleeding, seizures and even death can occur from a Coricidin overdose.

"From what I can tell, it's not a very pleasant experience," he said. "Over-the-counter drugs can be as dangerous as prescription medication. If you find even one box you should be concerned, you should ask what it is, what the kid's using it for."

The container Butts found had 13 Coricidin tablets mixed in with breath mints and all of the students involved were freshman.

"If you see your kids with little red pills, I would take them and ask the kid what they're doing with these," Butts said. "Kids are experimenting younger and younger and it doesn't hurt to tell them (abusing Coricidin) is going to make them sick. What I don't want to have happen is someone die from it here."

For more information on over-the-counter drugs and what they might interact with, ask your doctor, your pharmacist or the poison control center

Slinky
09-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Pseudoephedrine is one of the pre-cursors to methamphetamine and is not normally purchased in large amounts.

Ahahaha, oh yea, Pseudoephedrine is a gateway drug. :P

jersey_emt
09-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I like this one -

While dextromethorphan can be a safe and effective cough suppressant at recommended doses, it can cause hallucinations and other problems at high dosages, he said.

Since when are hallucinations a problem?

rfgdxm
09-10-2004, 01:00 PM
>Since when are hallucinations a problem?

In fact, that would be the likely reason why someone would take high doses of DXM.

gargantuan
09-10-2004, 03:19 PM
>>We're not seeing babies eating them by accident," Hogue said.

hah.

insightful.

Midknight
09-10-2004, 04:02 PM
I went to those sites that were posted in the begginning, and found one about kids who had used DXM and didn't like it. Weird.... They said it was bad...mainly because of puking, they mentioned a lot of puking in the stories... Is it just me or can most drugs make you puke some way or another?

Blue Bear
09-12-2004, 07:46 PM
indeed :walkaway:

Monoliath
09-14-2004, 02:28 PM
A pre-cursor to my post to clarify any miscommunications that may take place while reading it:

I think that everyone's life is very important, no one deserves to die, and everyone should have the opportunity to live their life to the fullest extent.

I do not advocate the use of recreational drugs to any and everyone. Recreational drug use IS NOT for everyone, no two bodies are alike in chemical or mental makeup. A large amount of intensive research must be done before engaging in any behaviour of that sort.

Now, with that said, let me say this: If you are the parent of a child who has died from an overdose of cold medicine, you are not fit to be a parent, and your child's death is soley due to your negligence in making them aware of the dangers of substance use and / or your inability to monitor and detect their behaviour. It is not the fault of anyone else, or the drug.

These kids are getting sick and dying because they are stupid. If you die from using this shit, then you deserve it. Period. I have no sympathy for this crap, as I have expressed before, and I will never have any sympathy for any parent who's child has died from this, nor will I personally entertain any idiotic argument that something 'needs to be done about this from a legal stand point'.

When the fuck are you lazy ass good for nothing parents going to statr taking care of your children and giving them enough love and attention so that they dont resort to using drugs as a source of satusfaction? How many kids need to die or committ suicide before you stupid ass workaholics realize that you need to pay attention to your children?

Let them OD on corocidin, let them all die off, that way the gene for STUPIDITY can't be passed down to future generations and this problem can be STOPPED.

It's just like anything else in life. I mean, if i found a way for dirt to get me high, and me and a bunch of my friends ate dirt all the time to get high, are we going to bitch about that to? Get real folks, get a grip and love your children like you're fucking supposed to or else THEY'LL KEEP KILLING THEMSELVES.

One more thing, what ever happened to the fucking warning on medication of any sort that says:

KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF FUCKING CHILDREN?!?!?!?!?!

xeroc00l
09-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Monoliath@Sep 14 2004, 01:28 PM
A pre-cursor to my post to clarify any miscommunications that may take place while reading it:

I think that everyone's life is very important, no one deserves to die, and everyone should have the opportunity to live their life to the fullest extent.

I do not advocate the use of recreational drugs to any and everyone. Recreational drug use IS NOT for everyone, no two bodies are alike in chemical or mental makeup. A large amount of intensive research must be done before engaging in any behaviour of that sort.

Now, with that said, let me say this: If you are the parent of a child who has died from an overdose of cold medicine, you are not fit to be a parent, and your child's death is soley due to your negligence in making them aware of the dangers of substance use and / or your inability to monitor and detect their behaviour. It is not the fault of anyone else, or the drug.

These kids are getting sick and dying because they are stupid. If you die from using this shit, then you deserve it. Period. I have no sympathy for this crap, as I have expressed before, and I will never have any sympathy for any parent who's child has died from this, nor will I personally entertain any idiotic argument that something 'needs to be done about this from a legal stand point'.

When the fuck are you lazy ass good for nothing parents going to statr taking care of your children and giving them enough love and attention so that they dont resort to using drugs as a source of satusfaction? How many kids need to die or committ suicide before you stupid ass workaholics realize that you need to pay attention to your children?

Let them OD on corocidin, let them all die off, that way the gene for STUPIDITY can't be passed down to future generations and this problem can be STOPPED.

It's just like anything else in life. I mean, if i found a way for dirt to get me high, and me and a bunch of my friends ate dirt all the time to get high, are we going to bitch about that to? Get real folks, get a grip and love your children like you're fucking supposed to or else THEY'LL KEEP KILLING THEMSELVES.

One more thing, what ever happened to the fucking warning on medication of any sort that says:

KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF FUCKING CHILDREN?!?!?!?!?!
Im not gonna waste too much of my time in turning this into a heated debate...but you have got to be the most retarted insignifigant prick I have ever seen post on the DV.

Try not expecting to be a single mom your whole life, but end up with 3 kids thinking its the best for them and you can financially support them yourself. 1 gets sick and you end up putting out $10,000 a month just so he can get his treatment visits at home from doctors because hes too weak to leave. Fathers a slacker and doesnt put up child support while you have to maintain a kid at home while 2 others go to school and you need money to do this? Inevitably this puts you into poverty that even 12 years later you cannot escape because its like quicksand. People in poverty dont feel they have a chance, half the african americans in this world give respect and get love from their family but end up being hopeless cases because of their environment. Everyone wants responsibility, everyone wants to be treated as an adult, but then everyone wants to point the finger? Responsibility is accepting your own actions and ignorance is a choice so it isnt always the parents fault that their child is off doing some type of recreational drug.

Call yourself some person who can handle drugs when you cant even look at the world. All you are is some selfless prick who needs to realize that shit goes on that cant be stopped. People grow up around things their parents cant change and thats the way it is. Come on saying uneducated people deserve death because they didnt know what they were getting into? You realize how many people did coricidin on this forum but then changed? What if one of them didnt happen to stumble upon this site and ended up in the hospital because of it? How can you not have sympathy for kids who are trying a drug then it ends up screwing them over? Did their previous actions point them in that direction of death?

Drugs in general are a choice and everyone here in this forum chooses to do them, but there are different types. Some kid ends up trying something ignorantly and he deserves to die? Please how many parents do you know that are "lazy ass good for nothing parents" whos kids OD on coricidin? All I see in your post is hate and ignorant stereotyping. Grow up.

Monoliath
09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Right, so lets go ahead and create a cushion for this nonsense and support with this some reasoning then. Let's once again, facilitate every possible cause that takes the blame finger away from the fundamental reason.

I don't give a shit how poor you are, and to try and paint some sad ass story intertwined within living in a modern society won’t do any good either. I know people who are DIRT poor and sending their children to shitty ass violence infested government schools here in the Caribbean, where some people are MUCH poorer than MANY Americans could possibly fathom, and their kids have access to cold and cough medications, ON THE SHELF, not behind the counter in food stores, yet this problem is not being experienced, AND THE KIDS IN SCHOOL know about it. I’m not saying nah nah look at us we’re better than you, I’m just showing a deeper level within the mirror here, a reference for effect and cause.

Just like Columbine, it was the media's fault, all this violence on TV. blah blah blah whine whine causes kids to commit violent hateful crimes, why don't you grow up and realize that parents have to take on the responsibility of raising their children, I mean, in case you forgot, that is what being a parent entails. I'm not talking about how much you make or how poor you are, or how rich you are, that is all besides the point and holds no bearing what so ever on this issue. Attention and care for your children, in the fundamental sense, cost nothing but time, which most parents (and I say most because the behavior of children on average throughout your schools reflect this) feel is way to much to ask when it comes to taking care of business.

I'm not stereotyping shit, I'm shoving in your face, what is happening in your own country, plastered across the media almost everyday as a result of, to put it simply BAD PARENTING. I never said it was always the parents fault, all I'm saying is that people who do not take responsibility and point the finger elsewhere, WHEN IT IS THEIR FAULT, are idiotic.

And about uneducated people deserving death...are you a nuclear scientist? I mean, do you feel as though you are qualified to work in a nuclear warhead factory? No. Then don't fucking work their, and don't piss and moan if you do work there and die as a result of your ignorance. That's all I'm saying, and if you're too young to know the difference, your parents should be watching over you anyways. End of story with that scenario.

Yes, people die from ignorance everyday, some call it evolution, some call it unfortunate, but that is a by-product of not knowing enough about your environment, you fucking die. It happens in every other existence of organism, as heartless as it sounds, on this planet. It's still the truth and it cannot be ignored or avoided and it will continue to happen.

If some kid wanders across a site on the internet, and tries a drug because of it, and dies, do I not have any sympathy? No. If you're fucking stupid enough to do something like that without looking into it deeper than what a god damn website has to provide, yes you do fucking deserve death, use your god damn head, it's what you have one for. Are we really going to start making excuses now, for kids who do stupid shit because of what they've seen on the internet? Is it just me, or is it not stupid to just read something on the 'internet' (which of course is the holiest of all holy sources of 'creditable' information....right) and do what it says without thought? If your child is too young to know better, then you should be watching how and what he accesses on the internet, again the responsibility falls on the parents. No fucking excuse. It’s the same acceptance of this kind of nonsense that has created this fragile unstable, intellectual society that we all now live in where law suits fly around like airplanes and everyone is the ‘victim’ of their own problems and inabilities to cope with life as it is.

I don't care about the issue anymore or less, it's not my responsibility, you educate your children about the options in life, and when they become of age, they do what they want to do...regardless of any monetary situation that they have been brought up in or how ‘hard’ their lives were.

vapor
09-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Im not gonna waste too much of my time in turning this into a heated debate...but you have got to be the most retarted insignifigant prick I have ever seen post on the DV.

im not saying your really new to this place, but stay a bit longer, youll be suprised. I sometimes wonder if some people who have posted here in the past are in fact literally mentally retarded.

Sometimes explination for some of the stupidity and ignorance ive noticed, fails me

xeroc00l
09-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Well yeah...I didnt waste my time with a reply to what he said im done with the topic mostly. He had his say and I had mine. But being cold and heartless will never get you anywhere in life.